Match Report

Central Park, Kelty. Wednesday 1st November 2017

Raith Rovers 3 (Smith 12, Dall 67, McCann 88) – 0 Forfar Athletic

Rovers extend their lead at the top of the division after a hard-fought game against a strong second placed Forfar side.

The visitors were a handful from the first to the last whistle, being stubborn in defence and tenacious when in possession of the ball.
The opening minute saw Matthew Aitken evade his marker to hit a low shot which came back off the base of the left post and fortunately fall just in front of Aaron Lennox to gather.

Minutes later the ball was laid off to Jamie Gill, the winger slicing the ball from right of the 18-yard box and going just past the near post.
Rovers began to ease the pressure, McLeod Kay with a run and cross, the ball finding Dall who headed wide of goal.
The deadlock was broken on 13 minutes when Easton hit a high ball forward, King ran out but misjudged the bounce, the ball going over his head where Jack Smith was poised to round the stranded keeper and slot home from a tight angle on the right of goal 1 – 0

There was to be no further scoring in the first half, the visitors with the slightly better possession and Rovers defending well but play going forward broke down due to robust defending.
The opening move of the second half saw Rovers defending a cross ball which Starkey thought was net bound but for a great block from MacDonald.

Rovers, still under the cosh had begun sharpen their passing, Stevenson the recipient, striking from 25 yards but the ball curled just wide.
Stand in coach Kevin Cuthbert made an early change on 51 minutes, McLeod Kay making way for Trialist A.
Rovers started to get the better of the wee Loons and looked good going forward, Watson’s shot going just over and Smith denied by the scrambling keeper.

Forfar countered with tremendous 40-yard strike from Stirton which Lennox could only parry such was the pace. Lennox was in action seconds later, having to deal with a massive kick out from King with Gill and Stirton waiting to pounce.
Rovers continued to press, Dall unlucky when he tripped in the box, his shot trundled towards King to gather and clear.

From the clearance, Forfar didn’t read a through ball to Kieran Dall, he latched on to the ball just inside the half hitting a low shot just outside the area across the diving King and in at the back post 2 – 0

Encouraged with the lead, Rovers enjoyed more time on the ball, Stevenson coming close from a short corner and shooting just over from the edge of the area, then Watson taking the ball to the bye line, his cross being blocked with Dall waiting at the back post.
Starkey, whose pace troubled Rovers all night ran in from the left, his 25-yard strike was going for the top corner only to be pushed out of play with a great dive by Lennox.

A late substitution saw Bell make way for McCann, the game had just restarted with Watson running on from halfway and shooting over from distance.
With the game playing out the final minutes a high ball into the area fell to sub Lewis McCann, heading into the top left corner just out of reach of King 3 – 0


Raith Rovers u20’s Forfar Athletic u20’s
Aaron Lennox Jason King
Jamie Watson Greg Warwick
Euan Valentine Paul Moran
James Berry Sam Clark
Josh MacDonald Ryan Stirton
Craig Easton Jack Allan
Kyle Bell (83) Jamie Gill
Ryan Stevenson Anthony Wallace
Jack Smith Ben Starkey
Kieran Dall Matthew Aitken
Fionn McLeod Kay (51) Kyle Clark
 sub: Trialist A (51) sub: Joseph Morrison
sub: Lewis McCann (83) sub: Ben English
sub: Lewis Crosbie sub: Fraser Morrison
sub: Rory Brian (GK) sub: Morgan Miller
sub: Ross Hain
sub: Kieran Swanson

Remember, RRFC Season Ticket holders get free entry to all Development League games. View the Development League (East) Fixture list & Table here.

Development Fund

We need YOU to help develop the next generation of Raith Rovers players by supporting our Player Development Fund. Click Here for information on how to contribute.

Back to News