There was to be no Halloween Horror Show for the Raith lads as they ran out 1 – 4 winners against a very capable Junior Youth side in a Friendly match on Monday evening.

The home side had to start the game with a very senior goalkeeping coach between the sticks as according to one of their coaches ‘the lads were sent a text to say we were playing Raith Rovers at Star Park’ comedy ensued as their two youth keepers drove to Kirkcaldy to find the place locked up.

The game started briskly with the game going back and forth, only to be halted by the referee blowing for what was assumed to be a hand ball in the Rovers box.

The Star number 9 hit the penalty low to his right and it was parried by the trialist keeper, the number 9 smashed the rebound over the stranded keeper and into the net 1 – 0

On the quarter hour to much hilarity, the Star ‘keeper’ was substituted for a more youthful version who had fought through the traffic to get back from Fife.

The game continued with Thorsen heading wide and later Trialist 9 with an acrobatic scissor kick which saw the ball shade over the bar.

Minutes later saw Rovers pile on the pressure with a corner and an ensuing free kick where Stevenson’s cross found Thorsen whose effort was palmed away at the back post.

It wasn’t long until another threat was mounted with Trialist 9 repeating his earlier effort to the same outcome, barely had the ball returned to play when No.9 fed in Stevenson on the right where, from the corner of the six-yard box he slotted the ball home at the near post 1 – 1

The second half was a rain sodden affair which was brightened up with the effort on the pitch, Stevenson and Osei each with a brace of shots on goal which the ‘real’ goalie handled with ease until our No.9 took the ball into the box and fired low past the keeper from 10 yards 1 – 2

Yaw Osei had a good outing but grew frustrated as despite several attempts on goal, he couldn’t find the net, he was part of the build up to a move which saw James Collins pick the ball up on the left of the area and ghost past two defenders and rocket the ball into the net from the centre of the area 1 – 3

The game played out with chances at either end, notable chances were Osei heading just wide at the back post and Stevenson with a 25-yard rocket which flew just over.

With time ticking away, James Berry took advantage of a rebound and struck a diagonal ball in at the back post from the edge of the area 1 – 4

The referee wasn’t for hanging about in the rain and blew the whistle on 90 minutes with the outcome beyond the young Newtongrange side.

As a footnote to the evening, the facilities and ground are to be envied by many and would like to thank the Nitten for the welcome received.

Back to News