After starting their season with a fine 1-0 away win at Dumbarton last weekend, Rovers kick-off their home campaign with a visit from Clyde this Saturday afternoon.

The win was their first victory with a clean sheet on the road since a 2-0 win over Arbroath just before Christmas, and it was one of just two wins on the opening day of League One, which suggests the division is going to be another tight affair this season.

Clyde were one of six teams involved in a draw, with a 1-1 result against East Fife.

Danny Lennon's men were the dominant side for the first 45 minutes, taking the lead from the penalty spot thanks to David Goodwillie, but they were pegged back in the second-half through Anton Dowds equaliser after 60 minutes.

Clyde ended a long spell in the bottom tier last season, coming through the League One playoffs after a losing out on the title on the final day to Peterhead.

It brought to an end a run in League Two which started back in 2010, and despite their newcomer status in League One, Lennon has assembled a side which will be expecting to challenge in the upper echelons of the league this campaign.

This will be the first meeting between the sides since the 2007-208 campaign when Rovers were 3-0 winners at Clyde in a League Cup first round tie, but you have to go back 28 years to find a home win by Raith in this fixture, with a 1-0 victory in the First Division in March 1991.

Unsurprisingly with statistics like that, Raith have a poor record in this match-up in general, with just that one win and two draws from the last 10 meetings between the clubs.

Saturday's match referee will be Euan Anderson.

Head-To-Head Home League Record Versus Clyde:

Raith Rovers Wins: 22 | Clyde Wins: 19 | Draws: 16

Raith Rovers Goals: 91 | Clyde Goals: 71

Current Form:

Raith Rovers: L-L-W-L-W | Clyde: L-L-L-D-D

Top Goal Scorers:

Raith Rovers: Lewis Allan 2 | Grant Anderson 1 | Kieron Bowie 1 | Michael Miller

Clyde: David Goodwillie 3 |  Darren Smith 1 | Kristoffer Syvertsen 1 | Tony Wallace 1

Match Odds:

Raith Rovers: 17/20 | Clyde: 14/5 | Draw: 12/5


Comprehensive Win Takes Raith Top

Raith Rovers made it two league wins out of two with a comprehensive 5-2 victory against newly-promoted Clyde at Stark’s Park this afternoon.  Rovers’ goal barrage - they could have scored many more given the number of chances created in an entertaining encounter - meant John McGlynn’s side ended the day at the top of League 1.

Rovers went with the same starting eleven who kicked off the campaign with a win at Dumbarton last week.  Opponents Clyde were looking to build on an opening day draw with East Fife as they look to find their feet in the division - former Rovers favourite Danny Lennon’s side included Chris Johnston and David Goodwillie, also familiar faces to the home fans.

The sides, who had not met in a competitive league fixture since 1991, started the game in a manner which suggested an entertaining ninety minutes was in the offing, with an open, adventurous approach.  In the opening minute, the visitors created the game’s first chance, and only a timely tackle by Regan Hendry prevented the Bully Wee drawing blood before the home side had time to settle.

A long crossfield Iain Davidson pass then found the galloping Lewis Allen out wide, whose deep cross was scrambled clear.  Rovers continued to press forward, and with twelve minutes on the clock they were awarded a penalty when Hendry was bundled over in the box.  The same player dusted himself down and steered his shot into the corner of the net, sending David Mitchell the wrong way.

Clyde responded positively, and almost equalised within two minutes.  Goodwillie found space in the box, and his quick turn and shot brought a fine blocking save from Rovers keeper David McGurn.  The visitors continued to enjoy a healthy share of possession, opening up the play with slick, accurate passing, though Mitchell was fortunate to avoid a caution when he failed to give the ball back to Rovers after conceding a throw-in down the right touch line.

However, it was the home side who doubled their advantage with 23 minutes played.  Once again, Hendry was the creator, this time playing an astute pass to Kieron Bowie, who was lurking with intent at the edge of the box.  The forward turned and swept a curling shot into the corner of the net, giving Mitchell no chance.

Rovers captain Kyle Benedictus then burst forward and tried his luck from fully thirty yards, though his shot drifted well wide of the target.  Goal scorer Bowie, who had picked up a knock, then made way for Joao Victoria, before the home side went close to extending their lead with the best move of the match.

Brad Spencer found Kieran MacDonald with a long pass wide left, and the left back controlled the ball before sending a firm cross into the danger area.  Lewis Allan reacted quickest to get to the ball, but the striker’s header flashed narrowly over the bar.

Rovers continued to dominate at this stage, with Regan Hendry orchestrating most of the play in the middle of the park.  That said, as the first half grew to a close, it was Clyde who came close to reducing the deficit, raining a flurry of corners and free-kicks into the Rovers box, though the home defence remained resolute, and went into the interval with their two-goal lead intact.

The second half kicked off in the same vein as the first, with both sides looking to push forward, utilising the flanks in an attempt to get in behind the defence.  And, after three minutes, it was Rovers who secured what appeared to be a match-winning third goal.  Grant Anderson latched on to a pass by team-mate Ross Matthews, and the winger who scored the winner at Dumbarton once again found the net, this time with a low shot which beat Mitchell at his near post.

Shortly afterwards, Anderson almost scored his second goal, though his shot failed to do justice to an impressive, mazy run which had left three defenders trailing in his wake.  Anderson, who had picked up an injury, was then replaced by young forward Jack Smith.

Rovers were clearly hungry for more goals, and they added to their tally with a fourth strike with just over an hour played.  Spencer played an angled pass into Victoria just inside the penalty area, and the big midfielder shrugged off an opponent before finding the far corner of the net with a low drive from ten yards out.  The same player then had a chance to extend the lead further still, but with Henry and Smith calling for a square pass his shot was smothered by Mitchell.

Clyde then made a double substitution in a bid to make an impact on the match, and with fifteen minutes remaining came close to scoring.  Benedictus slipped as the ball was played through to Goodwillie, and the Clyde captain steadied himself before rifling a shot towards the top corner.  However, McGurn was its equal, throwing himself high to his right to palm the ball out for a corner.

Goodwillie would not be denied, however, and two minutes later scored with a firm shot which found the net off the underside of the crossbar.  The Rovers defence, which had been solid throughout, appeared to have momentarily switched off.

Not that the home side was in the mood to feel sorry for themselves following concession of that goal.  Within a minute, they grabbed their fifth goal of this absorbing match.  The lively Victoria had a shot blocked, but the ball fell invitingly for Smith, who rolled it into the net off the inside of the post from around ten yards out.  Matthews then made way for another youngster, Dylan Tait, as McGlynn looked to take advantage of Rovers’ healthy lead by giving game time to his inexperienced players.  Tait’s involvement was immediate, as Raymond Grant earned the first yellow card of the game for a trip on the substitute.

Spencer then joined Grant in the referee’s book for a foul, before Michael Miller stung Mitchell’s fingertips with a firm shot which the keeper did well to stop.  Davidson then rose to meet a corner kick with a header which beat Mitchell but was hooked off the line as the fans in the south stand prepared to celebrate another goal.  However, it was the visitors who claimed the final goal, with a low shot by substitute Ally Love which evaded a clutch of defenders before finding the far corner of the net.

Unsurprisingly, Regan Hendry was confirmed man of the match, a fitting accolade for what was an outstanding performance by the young midfielder.

Any match which produces five goals for Rovers can be considered a satisfying afternoon’s entertainment, but considering that many more chances were created which could have seen the goal tally rise further, this match did represent something of a statement from John McGlynn’s side. The season is in its infancy, but the manner of victory here does suggest that there are at least grounds for optimism for the season ahead as far as the Rovers faithful are concerned.


Photo © Tony Fimister



Raith TV spoke to John McGlynn after the 5-2 home win against Clyde FC

Live Updates

Welcome to today's first league home game of the season Raith v Clyde. Raith team remains unchanged from last weeks win against Dumbarton
Chris Johnston makes a return to Stark's Park, in the starting line up for Clyde
There will be a minutes silence before today's game for Raith Volunteer Eddie Nelson who passed away recently
Clyde get the game underway
Wallace for Clyde gets the ball into the box but it doesn't trouble Raith or McGurn
A slip from Benedictus sees Johnston for Clyde pick up the loose ball. Ball is cleared for a Clyde corner
Bowie is deemed to be offside, Clyde free kick
Allan gets the ball in the box. Ball falls to Bowie but he can't quite get it under control to fire home
Anderson takes the ball for a run up the right sideline but is eventually cleanly tacked by McNiff. Throw in Raith
Goodwillie hoofs the ball down the park but too much for Wallace for Clyde and McGurn comes out and clears
PENALTY RAITH, Hendry taken down
Goodwillie 5 yards out goes for pop but McGurn's lightening reflexes saves with a foot clearance
Anderson down. Looks somewhat in pain
Teams taking in some water whilst Anderson being treated
Plays gets underway and Anderson returns to the game
Johnston for Clyde goes for a long pass to Smith but the latters header goes wild and out for a goal kick
Neat play from Hendry as he picks the ball up goes for a run into the box, passes to Bowie who calmly turns, shoots and scores
Bowie being treated at the moment
Free kick Raith after Hendry is brought down by Grant for Clyde
Raith sub off Bowie on comes Victoria
Bowie gingerly makes his way round the pitch back to the dugout
Good ball into the box from MacDonald. Glances off Allan's head and just over the bar
MacDonald again gets the ball into the box this time Hendry gets a head to it but the ball goes wide of its target
Play halted to treat a Clyde player
Clyde have been forced also to make a substitute off goes Duffie on comes Lamont
Good play between Allan and MacDonald with the latter getting the ball onto the box. Victoria is there but can't quite connect to head home
Smith for Clyde gets the ball into the box. Benedictus gets back and heads clear, corner Clyde
Clyde free-kick, Johnston whips the ball in. McGurn saves
+4 Ref Blows for Half time Raith 2 (Hendry 12 pen, Bowie, 23) Clyde 0
Raith get the second half underway. Doesn't look as though there have been half time changes
Freekick Clyde as Allan nudges Petkov off the ball
Victoria tries to take on too much instead of the simple pass and loses the ball
Anderson picks the ball up in the box and calm as you like slots the ball home
Anderson picks up a pass and runs into the box. Fans encourage him on. He tries to go for a shot but his effort is wide
Raith have been forced to sub off an injured Anderson on comes Smith
Spencer goes for a shot approx 30 yards out. His effort goes over the bar
Victoria picks up a pass. Takes the ball into the box. Fans encourage him on and he slots the ball home
Victoria close again. He picks the ball up just on halfway line. Takes on his man, runs down the pitch goes for a shot just in the box and Mitchell goes to ground to save
Good ball into the box from Victoria just short of Smith as McNiff gets up and heads clear
Benedictus picks up the ball comes through the middle passes out to Smith who tries for a shot which is intercepted. Raith corner
Clyde sub off Johnston and Smith on come Lyon and Love
Free kick Raith as Hendry is fouled by Grant, again
Smith picks up the pass and goes for a run down the pitch. Goes for a shot but it doesn't trouble Mitchell
Benedictus slips and Goodwillie goes for a shot. McGurn flies through the air to palm away
Clyde score Goodwillie. Ball goes in after bouncing the underside of the crossbar
Victoria tries for a shot but his effort is blocked. Smith is there to pick up the loose ball and fire home
Raith sub off Matthews on comes Tait
Grant for Clyde has now been booked after a foul on Tait
Smith passes to Miller but it's a tad too heavy
Spencer booked for a foul on Grant on the edge of the box
Goodwillie takes the freekick, deflects off the wall and ball eventually cleared
Miller goes for a shot. His effort is palm saved by Mitchell
Attendance is 1707 with 201 Clyde supporters
Davidson heads the ball down towards goal and it would have been in had it not been for Grant on the line to clear
Benedictus booked
Man of the match as chosen by the fans on the match day app is REGAN HENDRY
Clyde score...Love
Full time..fairly comfortable win for Raith. Raith 5 (Hendry 12 pen, Bowie 23, Anderson 48, Victoria 62, Smith 78) Clyde 2 ( Goodwillie 77, Love 85)