Raith Rovers will be looking to put last weekend’s last gasp defeat at Stranraer behind them, when they host Montrose this Saturday.

The 3-2 loss to Stranraer saw Rovers move off the top of the table to second, one point behind Falkirk, who travel to Clyde this weekend.

Montrose enjoyed an excellent campaign last season, finishing in the playoffs, but they have undergone a difficult start to the current League One campaign, currently siting ninth, with just one point from their first three fixtures.

They started the season with a 2-2 draw at Stranraer, but defeats to Airdrie and Falkirk sees them sitting above Clyde on goal difference at the foot of the table.

Few teams could have had a quieter transfer window than the Mo, with just two players leaving Links Park in the summer, and four coming in.

Former Raith goalkeeper Aaron Lennox arrived from Partick Thistle, while highly regarded right back, Cammy Ballantyne was picked up after he left Dumbarton.

Kerr Waddell could feature in the centre of defence after he was acquired from Dundee, while striker Blair Lyons was picked up from Stirling University.

Last season was the first time these two sides had met on league duty since 1992, and Rovers generally found the going tough, with just one win across the four matches.

That came back in February, with goals from Kevin Nisbet, Euan Murray, Liam Buchanan and Craig McGuffie in a 4-1 win at Stark’s Park.

Rovers have a formidable record in this fixture in general though, with seven wins and two draws from the last 10 meetings.

Saturday’s match referee will be Scott Lambie

Head-To-Head Home League Record Versus Montrose:

Raith Rovers Wins: 16 | Montrose Wins: 3 | Draws: 7

Raith Rovers Goals: 62 | Montrose Goals: 24

Current Form:

Raith Rovers: W-L-W-W-W-L | Montrose: L-D-D-L-W-L

Top Scorers:

Raith Rovers: Lewis Allan 4 | Grant Anderson 2 | Kieron Bowie 2 | Michael Miller 2

Montrose: Terry Masson 2 | Josh Skelly 2

Match Odds:

Raith Rovers: 4/6 |Montrose: 16/5 | Draw: 3/1


Rovers Return To Top After Win

They left it late, but three goals for Raith Rovers in the final ten minutes finally broke the stubborn resistance of Montrose at Stark’s Park this afternoon.

The win was important given last week’s loss at Stranraer, but an unexpected bonus was Clyde’s win against Falkirk, which returned Rovers to the top of League One.

On a sun-kissed day in Fife, Rovers went with the same eleven players who have clearly marked their names into manager John McGlynn’s first choice side so far this season.

The Gable Endies would have been keen to show that their stuttering start to this season was an aberration, and the form which led them to a play-off place last season would return.

Lewis Allan was denied by keeper Allan Fleming in the opening moments, but it was clear that a testing ninety minutes lay ahead for the home side as Montrose, well marshalled at the back, frustrated Raith’s attempts to get on the front foot in the opening exchanges.

With fifteen minutes played, Grant Anderson cut in from the right and fired a shot over the bar.  Two minutes later, the same player took a pass from Lewis Allan, though his inviting cross into the box was easily cleared.

Allan then found himself in acres of space under a floated pass from Michael Miller, but the striker appeared to lose the flight of the ball and Fleming gathered comfortably.

Rovers continued to press forward, but after 25 minutes the visitors came close to taking the lead.  A loose pass by Kieran MacDonald left Lewis Milne with a clear sight of goal, but for all his shot was well struck, Rovers custodian David McGurn was its equal with an impressive blocking save.

Sixty seconds later, Montrose should have taken the lead.  Martin Rennie’s cross evaded Raith’s rearguard, but with the goal at his mercy Graham Webster steered his headed over the bar from six yards out.

For all that Rovers enjoyed the lion’s share of possession, Montrose created the best chances during an opening 45 minutes during which the home side toiled to introduce momentum to their game.

Brad Spencer fired a shot well over the bar, before a superb reverse pass by Regan Hendry sent Kieran Bowie scurrying through on goal, though an offside flag halted the move as Rovers looked poised to take the lead.  Anderson then latched on to an angled pass by Spencer, but flashed his shot well over the bar.

The Home fans would have hoped for an improved performance in the second half, but the pattern of the opening 45 minutes was maintained after the interval, with Rovers struggling to convert general dominance into goal scoring opportunities.

Anderson and Hendry went close with shots, before Anderson made way for Jamie Gullan, following his return to Rovers from Hibs during the week.

Ten minutes into the second half, Rovers appealed for a penalty when Bowie appeared to be pulled to the ground inside the box, but referee Scott Lambie was unmoved.  Montrose then went close, though McGurn stretched to push away a goal-bound header by Kerr Waddell for a corner.

With an hour played, Brad Spencer was given a yellow card for a trip on Montrose’s top scorer Josh Skelly, before Rovers missed a chance to take the lead a minute later.  Lewis Allan bustled his way forwarded, and fed a pass to

Hendry, who turned his marker inside out but, as the fans within the south stand readied themselves for the opener, the young midfielder dragged his shot wide of the post

Hendry then appeared to be blocked inside the the box, but again the referee waved away the home side’s claims for a spot kick.

There was a palpable sense of frustration as Rovers struggled to create chances, and Montrose swatted away their forays forward with relative ease.  This was reflected in a late tackle by Ross Matthews on opponent Ross Ballantyne which earned the Rovers midfielder a caution.

Patience, however, is a virtue, and those who maintained that philosophy were rewarded when Rovers took the lead with ten minutes left.  The ball broke loose inside the box, and with the Montrose defence spectators, Kieron Bowie latched on to it and rifled his shot into the net.

The home side, galvanised by the goal, scented blood, and pushed forward in an attempt to finish the contest.  Jamie’s Gullan’s intelligent cut-back found no takers, before the same player flashed a shot into the side net from a promising position.

Patrick Cregg was then yellow carded for Montrose for a blatant body check on Hendry, but shortly afterwards it was the Rovers player who had the last laugh with a helping hand as the home side doubled its advantage.

Hendry and Spencer enjoyed a neat interchange of passes, before the ball was rolled into the path of Gullan, 25 yards from goal.

The home fans roared for a shot, and the forward duly obliged with an audacious effort which rifled low into the corner of the net, giving Fleming no chance.

Gullan’s goal finished the game as a contest, which may explain Iain Campbell’s crude tackle on Hendry which drew a deserved yellow card.  David McKay then fluffed a chance to extend Roves’ lead, before fellow substitute ‘trialist’ did precisely that, driving a low shot into the far corner of the net from a tight angle.

And that was that.  News of Falkirk’s defeat filtered through, and the Rovers faithful spilled out on to Pratt Street safe in the knowledge that Rovers were sitting pretty at the top of the league once more.

In truth, the three-goal margin flattered the home side today, but it’s another welcome three points for John McGlynn’s men, who go into next week’s Fife derby in Methil against East Fife with confidence and expectations high.


Photo Gallery © Tony Fimister



RaithTV talked to John McGlynn after today's 3-0 win against Montrose

RaithTV talked to Jamie Gullan, who scored one of the goals in today's 3-0 win against Montrose

Live Updates

Welcome to today's league one game Raith Rovers v Montrose. Not changes to the line-up from last week. Mendy and loanee Gullan start on the bench.
Both teams emerge from the tunnel
Montrose get the game underway. Raith shooting towards the McDermid stand
Miller passes the ball up the line but it's too much for Bowie to latch on to
Hendry with the long switch of play to MacDonald. He tries to take on two men but his effort doesn't come to much
Miller clears as Rennie for Montrose takes the ball to the byline
Reaction save by Fleming as Bowie clips the ball into the box to Anderson who has a shot
Rennie for Montrose gets the ball to an incoming Milne but his first touch is poor. Raith clear.
Miller gets the ball low into the box. Fleming gathers.
I Campbell from a corner gets the ball to the centre of the box. It connects with the head of a Montrose player, ball goes out for a goal kick
Fantastic turn from Bowie as he then takes the ball for a run up field. His pass though doesn't come off as it's intercepted
Free kick Montrose on the edge of the box as Matthews judged to have fouled Skelly
Milne takes it and Raith wall holds strong
Good players between Matthew's, Spencer Bowie and MacDonald. They take the ball up field. Play ends with a Montrose tackle
Twenty minutes in Raith 0 Montrose 0. Raith playing and holding well.
Fleming comes out to collect but Bowie tries to go around the keeper unfortunately it doesn't quite work
Slack pass from MacDonald sees Montrose latch on to a loose ball. They have a pop and McGurn palm saves. Davidson clears the danger
Webster for Montrose has a free header and ball goes over the bat
Corner Raith as Anderson and a Montrose player jostle the ball out of play
Raith free kick, foul on Allan by Dillon
Spencer has a shot on goal but his effort doesn't trouble Fleming and the ball is over the bar
Nice ball from Hendry to MacDonald but the pass is weighted a bit to heavy for MacDonald to pick up
Lovely ball from Hendry to Bowie on the edge of the box. Sadly Bowie's pass across the box isn't picked up and ball goes out of danger
Anderson picks up a pass from Spencer. He takes it to just off the centre spot and has a shot but his effort is just over the bar
Ref blows for half time Raith 0 Montrose 0
Raith get the second half underway
Anderson gets the ball into the box but is fairly tackled
Davidson's pass to Bowie unfortunately is placed behind him and he can't latch on
Movement from the Raith bench as it looks as though Gullan is about to come on
Raith sub off Anderson on comes Gullan
Raith have changed formation to a 4,3,1,2 as Gullan is brought down in the box and the Raith fans scream for a penalty
Excellent palm dive save from McGurn as Montrose get into the danger area
Gullan picks up the ball and goes for a fantastic run down the field. He's tackled in the box
Ball passed on to Gullan who heads down but his control is too heavy as Montrose come in to intercept
Great ball from Allan to Hendry who takes the ball across the edge of the box goes for a low shot but effort is just wide
Montrose sub off Rennie on comes Lyons
Hendry floats the ball into the box but Spencer is heavily marked and the ball goes out for a free kick
Hendry again with a great ball into the box to Miller but the pass just a tad heavy
Montrose sub off Skelly on comes McLean
Matthews booked after taking the legs from behind on Clegg
Montrose 3rd substitute of the day off goes Allan on comes R Campbell
Bowie gets the ball into the box but Mintorse head clear
The ball is slipped through to KIERON BOWIE who then slots home the first goal of this afternoon
Gullan takes the ball to the byline, cuts it back but no one can't get to it
Raith sub off goal scorer Bowie on comes Trialist
Cregg booked after a foul on Hendry
GULLAN scores the second of the afternoon and hits a thunderous shot from 25 yards out
Attendance 1437...with 75 away fans...thanks
Bowie has picked up two man of the match awards today. One from the fans match day app the other from Hospitality
Raith sub off Allan on comes McKay
The third goal comes from Trialist
Ref blows for full time Raith 3 (Bowie 79, Gullan 83 Trailist 92) Montrose 0