The big kick off arrives at Stark's Park this Saturday evening, and it could scarcely be more anticipated, as Raith Rovers welcome their near neighbours Dunfermline for a televised Viaplay League Cup group match.

It'll be the two sides first meeting since the 2021/22 campaign, a season which saw Rovers just miss out on the Premiership playoffs, while the Pars ended up relegated under manager John Hughes.

With the two Fife sides grouped together with Kilmarnock, Albion Rovers and Annan Athletic, and only one side guaranteed to progress to the next round, along with just three of the best runners up, a win in normal time is all important, as Rovers look to make the knock-out stages for just the second time since this format was reintroduced in 2016

With that being the case, Rovers will be looking for their first win over Athletic since May 2021, when goals from Lewis Vaughan and Gozie Ugwu sealed a 2-0 aggregate win in the Premiership playoffs at Stark's Park.

James McPake's side have bounced back from the disappointment of relegation, winning League One at the first attempt, finishing 14 points above nearest rivals Falkirk, and conceding a paltry 21 goals across the league campaign.

The bulk of their summer signings have been loan signings made permanent rather than new faces, with defenders Sam Fisher and Ewan Otoo coming in from Dundee and Celtic respectively, while pacey wide player, Kane Ritchie-Hosler was brought in from Rangers after an impressive showing last term.

Michael O'Halloran is the first new arrival to be brought in over the summer, with the former St Johnstone and Cove Rangers midfielder signed last week.

This fixture will head to penalties if it's a draw at the end of 90 minutes, and with five of the last 10 meetings ending all square, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that spot kicks will be deciding the destination of a bonus point.

Saturday night's match referee will be Don Robertson.


Raith Rovers started with an extremely high intensity creating the first big chance within the first minute with Dylan Corr’s header going just wide. Dunfermline created the next big chance only a few minutes later with Edwards hitting the post. Raith managed to control the next 20 minutes with neither team creating a massive chance, until Jamie Gullan stepped up to take a freekick from around 25 yards which smashed against the cross bar. Dunfermline had a similar chance only a few minutes later that just missed the goal by a miniscule margin.

Dunfermline soon took the lead against the run of play in the 29th minute, with McCann cutting in onto his right foot and smashing the ball into the far bottom corner past an outstretched Kevin Dabrowski. GOAL 1-0 DUNFERMLINE.

Raith were quick to respond, as it only took 8 minutes to equalise with a Messi esque goal, getting past multiple attempted tackles then finally chipping the goal keeper. GOAL RAITH 1-1! HT!

It took just over 10 minutes of the second half for the first big chance, it came from Dunfermline when Edwards put in a great cross towards Wighton, which he had just misjudged the flight of the ball narrowly missing the ball. Raith quickly had a very similar chance, with Gullan playing the ball to Vaughan, but he was at full stretch making the ball just go up and over the cross bar.

Raith continued to put pressure on Dunfermline, creating a wonderful chance in the 69th minute, when McGill’s cross found Liam Dick, and he headed the ball towards the goal but it was acrobatically stopped by the Dunfermline goal keeper. The Dunfermline goal keeper had to make another great save, when Lewis Vaughan’s shot looked as if it was going to find the bottom corner, however he managed to get down quickly and keep it out. FT.... PENALTIES!!!!

Dunfermline scored their first penalty to the goal keepers right hand side.

Raith missed their first penalty with Gullan hitting the cross bar.

Dunfermline scored their second penalty to Dabrowski’s right side.

Raith scored their second penalty with Aarnott putting the ball low and hard to the goal keeper’s right.

Dunfermline scored their third penalty finding the same corner as the other scorers.

Raith scored their third penalty with Dylan Easton putting the ball to the goal keeper’s right.

Dunfermline missed their fourth penalty with Dabrowski diving right and saving it.

Raith missed their fourth penalty with Vaughan hitting the keepers left post.

Dunfermline scored their fifth and final penalty putting it to the keepers bottom right.

FT Dunfermline win 4-2 on penalties.


All the pictures from the match against Dunfermline.