After getting back to winning ways against Stirling Albion in midweek, Raith Rovers get back to league action at the weekend, when they welcome Greenock Morton to Stark's Park.

Goals from Gozie Ugwu and Dylan Tait allowed Rovers to advance through to the next round of the Scottish Cup, with a visit to Livingston the prize for the 2-0 win.

Saturday's opponents, Morton, are also in the next round following a midweek win, after a penalty shoot out triumph over Dunfermline, after the two teams played out a goalless draw.

The Greenock side have a new manager in the dugout, with Gus MacPherson taking charge until the end of the season, replacing interim boss Anton McElhone, who'd held the reins since David Hopkins departure in December.

The former St Mirren boss seems to have made a positive impact, with that cup success coming on the back of an excellent 2-1 win over Queen of the South last weekend, a win that lifted them three points above Arbroath who reside in the relegation playoff position.

This will be the third meeting of the sides this term, and Raith have a 100% record against the Ton so far.

Rovers put in arguably their finest performance of the season in the first meeting in November, with goals from Frankie Musonda, Daniel Armstrong, Fernandy Mendy and a brace from Ross Matthews easing Raith to a 5-0 win.

It was a far tighter affair last month though, with an Iain Davidson goal all that separated the teams at Cappielow.

Those results extended Rovers good record in this fixture, with seven wins from the last 10 meetings.

Saturday's match referee will be John Beaton.

Head-To-Head Home League Record Versus Morton:

Raith Rovers Wins: 32

Morton Wins: 16

Draws: 16

Raith Rovers Goals: 110

Morton Goals: 67

Current Form:

Raith Rovers: W-D-D-L-D-W

Morton: D-L-W-L-W-D

Top Scorers:

Raith Rovers: Manny Duku 10, Daniel Armstrong 4

Morton: Aidan Nesbitt 4, Craig McGuffie 3, Kalvin Orsi 3

Match Odds:

Raith Rovers: 10/11

Morton: 13/5

Draw: 14/5


Late Gullan Goal Seals Three Points

Raith Rovers returned to winning ways in the Championship this afternoon, with a vital 1-0 win over Morton at Stark’s Park 

Rovers had held the upper hand for the bulk of the game, but couldn’t find a way past a well organised and resolute Morton defence, but with time running out, Jamie Gullan came off the bench to win the game with a well executed finish

John McGlynn made two changes from the midweek cup win over Stirling Albion, with Gullan and Kai Kennedy being replaced by Manny Duku and Daniel Armstrong. 

Duku partnered Gozie Ugwu up top, in an attempt to restore goals to a side which had struggled to pry open defences in the last few league games. 

However, it was who Morton created the game’s first chance in the fourth minute, when Gary Oliver made good headway down the left before drilling a cross to the back post, where Darren Hynes elected to strike first time, volleying into the side netting when he probably had time to bring it down. 

Most of Morton’s good play was coming down their left-hand side, and Lewis Strapp was the next to attack down that wing, with Regan Hendry and Reghan Tumilty eventually combining to stop him as made his way into the area. 

It was the Raith right back who had Rovers first attempt at goal in the 13th minute, when a  deep cross from the left found the attacking full back, but after doing well to cut inside and fashion the shooting chance, his effort lacked pace and was easily gathered by Aidan McAdams. 

Rovers were starting to exert themselves on the game as the half progressed, keeping possession well and probing the Morton defence, although chances were slow in materialising. 

They did eke out a decent chance in the 23rd minute, when Kieran MacDonald’s cross from the left was met by Duku, but the cross was just too high for him, and he could only send his header over the crossbar. 

The game almost had it’s opening goal after the half hour mark, when a poor clearance found Steven McGinn 25 yards from goal, and his effort had Jamie MacDonald scrambling across goal, but the shot flashed just wide of his right-hand post. 

Rovers had fallen out the game a little, and while they were seeing plenty of the ball, their slow patient build up play was allowing the Greenock side to get men behind the ball, and stifle Raith’s advances. 

Gus MacPherson’s team on the other hand were going much more direct, but Kyle Benedictus and Frankie Musonda were coping pretty admirably with the questions they were being posed. 

Rovers were unchanged at the start of the second period, but they seemed to have a little more vim about their play after they emerged from the tunnel. 

An excellent cross from the right hand side from Tumilty looked ideal for Ugwu, but he didn’t quite time his header correctly, and his attempt was more cushioned than powered into McAdam’s arms. 

Rovers had started the second half well, with the bulk of the opening five minutes taking place in Morton’s final third. 

Duku and Ugwu were starting to make their presence felt, with flick ons and hold up play, but it was another duo, Regan Hendry and Daniel Armstrong who combined to almost open the scoring. 

A one two combination on the edge of the box presented Hendry with a sight at goal, and while his shot was fierce, it lacked accuracy, and it zipped just wide.

Rovers were chapping on the door now, and a good ball in from Hendry found Duku in space in the area, but from close range, he couldn’t steer his header on target and the chance was wasted. 

Rovers made a double change with 25 minutes remaining, with Ugwu and Armstrong being replaced by Gullan and Lewis Vaughan. 

The latter was involved straight away, getting on the end of a Tumilty cross, but in what had become very much a trend in the game, a Rovers forward wasn’t able to get a header on target. 

McGlynn then made his final change with 20 minutes left, with Ross Matthews coming on for Adam King. 

Rovers were starting to dominate now, and Vaughan did well to wriggle away from a crowd of defenders and get a shot off which McAdam did well to palm away. 

It felt like it was potentially turning into one of those days, but with nine minutes left, Rovers at last got the breakthrough. 

A corner was flicked on to the back post by Duku, and Gullan met it superbly to drill a shot across goal and in off the inside of the post. 

The goal was thoroughly merited based on the balance of play, and while Morton now had to go for it, Rovers comfortably held them at arm's length for the rest of the match. 

Kalvin Orsi did have a half chance with full time approaching, but his deflected effort was easily snaffled up by MacDonald. 

That win lifted Raith up to second in the table, although that could change on Saturday night, with Dundee and Dunfermline duking it out in a live televised match. 

Rovers will be back in action again this Tuesday night, when Dunfermline are the visitors in the third Fife derby of the season. 


Photographs © Tony Fimister



John McGlynn spoke to RaithTV after the win at Stark's Park

Live Updates

Welcome to Starks Park for our league game against Greenock Morton, it's 9 degrees and overcast.
John McGlynn going with two strikers Duku and Ugwu starting this afternoon.
Morton kick of towards the South Stand
Both sides still finding their feet
Rovers lumping the ball up to Gozie but the ball keeps going out of play.
Tait to MacDonald but his cross goes very wide and out of play
Tait to MacDonald but his cross goes very wide and out of play
Rovers corner, ball comes to Musonda who heads wide.
Both teams closing down the opposition but doing nothing on the break
Armstrong crosses, the ball comes to Tumilty, his low shot no threat to McAdams.
Strapp down in the box, looking for the corner, Mr Beaton calls it a GK
Armstrong crosses to Ugwu but he is double teamed by the defenders and the ball is cleared.
McAdams out jumps Ugwu to punch clear.
Adam King receives a yellow card.
Latest score, Raith Rovers 0-0 Greenock Morton
MacDonald with a high ball into the box, Duku heads over the bar.
Tait shoots from 30 yards but could only hit a defender's bahookie
Gozie on the left crosses but a deflection sends the ball into the hands of McAdams
Morton long throw into the area straight into the arms of MacDonald
Morton FK wide left, MacDonald punches clear
Morton (can't see his number) hits the ball past MacDonald and wide of the back post.
Nesbitt FK into the box and is cleared.
Morton corner, after some head tennis the ball is cleared.
The visitors drive a fierce ball across the Rovers goal and out for a GK
Live stream crashed just before the first 45 minutes elapsed. Half time, Raith Rovers 0-0 Greenock Morton
Second half is underway
As far as I can see, no half time changes for Raith
Free kick Raith just in their half after a foul on Armstrong
Corner for Rovers
Free kick for Rovers again not far from the corner
King attempts to get the ball crossed into the box but the ball goes out for a goal kick
Good ball from Duku as he crosses low into the box. Morton clear but Hendry is there to take a pop but the ball just wide
From the free kick Raith get the ball into the box. A bit of head tennis and the ball finds it's way back upfield
Duku booked for Raith
Morton crying for handball as Duku challenges forward...ref ignores
Free kick Raith as Armstorng falls over a trailing Morton leg
Tait booked for not giving the ball back and ball kicked away
Armstrong gets the ball over to near the front post, Duku connects with his head but ball pings high into the South Stand
Hendry picks up a loose ball, takes it into the box but too many Morton players for him to take on and ball nicked and cleared
Free kick Morton as Armstrong brings down Strapp at the railways stand side line
Ugwu with a lovely pass to Armstorng, he goes forward but again Morton their to shut down the play
Duku takes the ball all the way up the park but he's challenged at the byline and Morton clear
Raith sub off Ugwu and Armstrong and on come Gullan and Vaughan...Morton also go for a substitution as off goes Lyon and on comes Jacobs
Tumilty gets the ball to the centre of the Morton box, sadly Vaughan can't connect
Raith sub off King and on comes Matthews
Free kick as Benedictus is manhandled by Strapp. The latter receives a yellow card
Vaughan has a go for goal and it forces McAdams to palm put. Corner Raith
Morton sub off Oliver and on comes Orsi
Tait tries to get the ball into the box but Morton head clear
Hendry tries to get the ball through to Vaughan but he's surrounded by Morton players and they clear
Morton player booked for a foul on Duku
Duku tries to get the ball under control deep in the Morton half but it doesn't work out
Ten min to go Raith 0 Morton 0
The ball comes off the inside of the post and GULLAN is there in the 6 yard box to whack the ball home
Morton final substitution as off goes Colville and on comes McGuffie
Free kick Raith as Gullan challenged deep in the Raith half
Man of the match is Musonda
Hendry with a rather hopeful long ball upfield
Game ends Raith 1 (Gullan 81') Morton 0 Raith grind out a vital three points