After leaving Maryhill empty handed last weekend, Raith Rovers will be looking to bounce back this Saturday, when they take on Inverness Caledonian Thistle at Stark's Park.

However, it would be an understatement to say that's been easier said than done over the years, with Rovers failing to beat the Highlanders over 90 minutes in their last 28 attempts.

You have to go all the way back to October 2000 for the last time Rovers were able to get the better of Saturday's opponents, when goals from Jay Stein and Ivan Mballa saw Rovers win 2-1 up in Inverness.

Billy Dodds men aren't in the greatest of form and go into this one on a run of three straight defeats, and exited the League Cup in midweek, after a 4-0 loss to Motherwell, thanks to a Kevin Van Veen hat-trick, and an own goal from Danny Devine.

However, they enjoyed a fine return against Rovers last term, with two wins and two draws from the 4 league encounters, with the most recent game in March the most dramatic.

Aidan Connolly and Matej Poplatnik had given Rovers a 2-1 lead, which they held until the 89th minute, despite a red card for Kyle Benedictus. However, two goals in as many minutes from Logan Chalmers at the death, meant the Caley Jags took all three points, while a late Ben Williamson dismissal meant Raith finished the match with nine men.

Rovers are currently sixth in the table, two points outside the playoffs, while Inverness are eighth, just a point behind the Kirkcaldy side.

Head-To-Head Record:

Raith Rovers Wins: 7

Draws: 6

Inverness Wins: 21


Inverness win 2-0 to continue long unbeaten run against the Rovers

Raith Rovers started off the better team creating great chances early on, with a Gullan volley from outside the box going just wide of the post.

In the 25th minute Liam Dick received a yellow card and in the 27th minute Jamie Gullan pulled up with an injury - he tried to continue however he had to come off in the 29th minute for the debutant McBride.

Easton then had a volley that went just over the bar that had the home crowd on their feet, then came a curling effort from Easton heading for the top corner of the Inverness goal, however it was well saved by Ridgers in the Inverness goal.

Dylan Easton lobs the ball goalwards......

As the game got closer to half time Raith Rovers continued to try to find the opener, however it would not come as penalty shouts from the home side in the 43rd minute never came to fruition. Just before then Inverness midfielder Carson was given a yellow card

The second half kicked off with Inverness being awarded a penalty, with Allardice putting it away from the spot. Rovers 0 - 1 Inverness.

Inverness then made their first substitution of the game, bringing off Oakley for Mckay and from there on Inverness grew in confidence creating multiple chances, however the home side grew back into the game throwing as much as possible at the Inverness defence.

Ethan Ross came on for Nolan in the 73rd minute, then Millen came off for the man returning from injury, Brad Spencer.

A welcome return to action for Brad Spencer

Inverness brought on some reinforcements of their own bringing off Boyd for Hyde in the 87th minute and Easton was given a yellow card for a slightly late challenge in the middle of the pitch.

Bill Mckay scored the goal to finish the game in the 90th minute from a fast counterattack. Rovers 0 - 2 Inverness.

The man of the match voted for by the Raith Rovers fans on the Matchday App was Sam Stanton.

Raith have now not beaten Inverness in the league in 22 years and will need to wait until the reverse fixture on 22nd October.


All the pictures from the 2-0 defeat to Inverness Caley Thistle at Stark's Park


Pictures © Tony Fimister and Jim Foy.



Ian Murray spoke to RaithTV after the defeat to Inverness CT:

Live Updates

Teams are out for todays Cinch Championship tussle between Raith Rovers and ICT.
Raith kick off, shooting into the South Stand.
Connolly left unmarked in box. In two minds whether to go for the overhead kick, or guarantee the connection. He chooses the latter and keeper saves.
Corner ICT.
Harper tries his luck. Deflects out for a second ICT corner.
Big shout for an ICT penalty there. Top was pulled, but ref waves play on.
MacKay with the chance there. Sclaffs his attempt and MacDonald easily holds.
Gullan chips the ball up and over the defence, rushes through and rifles a beauty over the keeper and just past the post. That would have taken the roof off!
Dick clatters the ICT attacker. Had to be a yellow and it was! Free kick Inverness.
McBride replaces Gullan
Easton with a great chance. Volleys just over the bar.
Corner Raith.
What a save from Ridgers!
Big shout for a Rovers penalty. Ref's not interested.
Carson booked for an off the ball incident.
Half time: Raith 0-0 ICT
Players out for the second half.
ICT kick off.
Easton tries his luck from outside the box. Hits the top netting. I thought it was a goal. (Sit down!)
Penalty ICT.
Goal Inverness! Allardice slots home.
Easton shoots from outside the box. Well saved.
Oakley replaced by McKay
Nolan replaced by Ross.
Ross with a bit of magic, cuts into the box, passes to Connell who shoots at the goalie.
Millen replaced by Spencer.
Harper replaced by Hyde
Easton picks picks up a yellow.
Goal ICT.
Billy McKay slots home.
D MacKay replaced by Shaw
Brown with the shot. Blocked and danger away.
Full time: Raith Rovers 0-2 Inverness CT.