After last week's excellent 3-0 win over Cove Rangers, Raith will be looking to make it two consecutive wins, by following up with a victory over Morton at Cappielow this Saturday.

Goals from Aidan Connolly, Jamie Gullan and Sam Stanton sealed a comfortable 3-0 win over Cove last weekend, but Morton go into this one on the back of their their big win, after a 5-0 win over Hamilton Accies.

That made it two wins in two for Dougie Imrie's side, a sequence that now sees them sitting sixth in the table, two clear of seventh placed Rovers, although Ian Murray's men do have a game in hand, which takes place next midweek against Arbroath.

This will be the second time the sides have played this season, with Rovers running out 2-1 winners at Stark's Park in August.

Liam Dick and Aidan Connolly had Rovers two up and looking good for the win, but a goal from Cameron Blues halved the deficit, which led to a nervy final 10 minutes, although Raith remained resolute to take their first three points of the campaign.

Saturday's match referee will be Greg Aitken.

Head-To-Head Record:

Morton Wins: 65

Raith Rovers Wins: 56

Draws: 36


Rovers lose out to last-gasp penalty at Cappielow.

Off the back of good high-scoring victories last weekend, both teams went into the game in decent form, and fans may have been entitled to expect a game full of goalmouth action and goals – they were to be disappointed.

The game itself was delayed 15 minutes as the Rovers’ team bus struggled to make it through the road works and Glasgow traffic – probably much to the relief of the travelling fans too.

Rovers gave John Frederiksen his first start up front since signing, as Ethan Ross dropped out of the squad altogether, with Jamie Gullan moving out to the left hand side. However, Gullan’s game was cut short as he broke down injured inside the first 10 minutes and had to be replaced by Dylan Easton.

The substitution actually gave Rovers a bit of spark and went on to control the majority of the first half. A nice run and cutback from Easton saw Liam Dick put a chance over the bar on the 12th minute. And, although Morton managed a couple of corners, it was Rovers that continued to look the more dangerous: Frederiksen had a header well-saved by Schwake in the Morton goal and Easton saw his curled shot from the left-edge clip the top of the bar and go over. Connor O’Riordan was next to pass up the opportunity to take the lead as he put over from a few yards out. Rovers’ final chance of the half was a fizzed effort from Easton but his goal-bound shot was deflected over by Darragh O’Connor in the Morton defence.

Frederiksen heads but it's blocked

Morton came back into it as the game approached halt-time. They had a flurry of corners, and chances for McGrattan and Crawford went over and wide respectively.

Half Time: Greenock Morton 0-0 Raith Rovers

The second half was an extremely scrappy affair with both sides struggling to find any grip on the game or make any clear-cut chances.

Crawford hit the side netting for the hosts, who had the majority of the ball without posing much of an attacking threat. Kyle Connell replaced Frederiksen in the 70th minute but never really had an opportunity to impact on the game.

Rovers’ best chance of the half came on the counter as Easton found space through Morton’s defence but instead of shooting decided to cut back and the move broke down. Connolly saw his nicely curled shot flash just wide but it was never really goal-bound. Morton’s Kabia had the ball in the net on 86 mins but it was rightly flagged offside.

Easton faces a 'ton of obstacles

The game looked to be drifting towards the goalless draw, which would have been fair on both sides, but there was to be a twist in the tale. Deep into injury time, a long ball wasn’t cleared by O’Riordan and Kieran Ngwenya was then adjudged to have fouled Quitongo in the box. The Rovers’ player wasn’t booked but the penalty was awarded and ex-Rover, Grant Gillespie, stepped up to convert. This was the last kick of the game as referee Greg Aitken immediately blew for full time on the restart.

Rovers’ fans, players and the management team left Greenock disgruntled, whilst Morton’s fans went home happy with the 3 points in the bag.

Full Time: Greenock Morton 1-0 Raith Rovers

Crowd: 1534


© Eddie Doig



Ian Murray spoke to RaithTV after today's defeat to Greenock Morton FC:

Live Updates

Welcome to today's game… Morton v Raith .. game is delayed approximately 15 min
One change to the starting line up from last weeks game.. Frederikson makes his debut start with Ross starting in the bench.
Apologies Ross isn't in the team today
Raith get today's game underway. Raith shooting to what would be the away end. Morton shooting towards their own fans
Earlybtheo in for Morton deep in Raith half… Fredrikson
Frederikson heads away
Ngwenya takes the ball up the park he decides to pass instead of thumping home however Raith corner
Connolly heads away a Morton threat in the Raith box.. Morton throw in
Stanton gets the ball across the face of goal but Morton clear
Raith are forced into an early sub as off goes Gullan and on comes Easton
Free kick to Raith as Big John is held back… approx 25 yards out
Easton takes it but is smashes off the Morton wall
Connolly to Easton, he takes it in has a pop but Schwake spills. Raith can't capitalise
From the Raith corner Easton plays short to Connolly who returns the ball. Easton floats the ball into the box but Liam Dick skies the ball
Morton fans looking for a foul but Ref says throw in to Raith
Freekick Morton this time as Brown fouls
O'Riordan thumps the ball away as Morton press
Fantastic cross from Raith and wonderfully controlled by Easton. He takes the ball to the byline tries to nick the ball in but. Schwake collects
Corner Morton
From the Morton corner Baird headers the ball over the bar
Fredrikson to take a long throw
Corner Raith, Connolly to take. Ball played short, ball eventually fall to back post and Big John is there but ball is just inches wide
Another Corner for Raith.. Connolly again to take…ball falls to O'Riordan who passes to Liam Dick who misses
Freekick Morton after big John fouls in the centre circle
MacDonald gets down to save as O'Connor is there
Booking for Baird
Morton 0 Raith 0 Personally would say the game has been fairly even so far. Both teams pressing
Stanton passes to Millen who floats the ball into the box but Morton clear
Oooffft… Easton so close as he gently floats the ball into the Morton danger area but the ball hits the corner of the bar and post
Connolly passes to Millen who puts the ball into the Morton box but they clear
Corner Morton
Easton has a shot but ball takes a deflection. Raith corner
Nothing comes of it
Morton fans looking for handball in the Raith box. Ref plays on
Stanton clears a Morton throw in
Ref doesn't give a foul when Big John is literally man handled
Morton corner in the last 3 min
Ball is headed way but only just outside the Raith box and to a Morton player who fires the ball goal bound but thankfully it's just over the bar
Morton come oh so close in the dying minutes of the first hald
+1 Big John receives a yellow… ref saying consistently fouling
+2 Big John with a lovely pass to Ngwenya but he can't capitalise
+2 ref blows for half time Morton 0 Raith 0
Morton get the second half underway
Long throw in from Morton…MacDonald punches but it looks like he collided with Liam Dick. He's back up now
Raith get the ball into the Morton box, Schwake punches clear the ball. Connolly is just trying to get it under control when Morton nick in and take it
Strapp nutmegs Connolly
Stanton with an ambitious upfield pass to Ngwenya
Stanton passes to Brown who is in the edge of the box, has a pop but it's blocked
Kabia with a thumping shot which is blocked by Brown
Good between Easton, Stanton and Ngwenya with the latter trying to pass the ball into box but it's too tight near the byline. Goal kick Morton
McGrattan thinks he's through on goal but he is clearly offside and the linesman agrees
Morton sub off Kabia and bring on Quitongo
Quitongo already with an early threat, his low pass is put into the Raith box but Raith clear
Connolly does really well to track back and get the ball from McGratten
Ngwenya does well to block a Quitongo cross
Spencer gets a toe in to displace the ball from Morton but neither Stanton or Bug John can capitalise
Millen does well to shield the ball from McGrattan. Goal kick Raith
Stanton's pass to Connolly falls short
Crawford this time comes close for Morton
Stanton's pass to Easton this time is just a bit too much
Raith sub off Fredrikson and bring on Connell
Brown this time does well to come back and displace Quitongo from moving forward
Some good play from Raith in the last few minutes. Just not being clinical with the final passes tho
Liam Dick is booked
Connolly stumbles and loses the ball and Quitongo nicks it
Ngwenya booked after a foul on Quitongo.
Great ball from Connolly to Easton. Wonderfullly controlled by the latter who just can't quite find a way through the Morton defence
Booking for Blues after a foul on Ngwenya
Ten minutes to go Morton 0 Raith 0
Morton corner
From the corner ball is floated in but it doesn't reach neither side… Raith goal kick
Spencer tries to get the ball into the box but it's cleared
Raith sooooo close
Morton free kick after Millen fouls
Morton think they score but linesman says offside
Free kick after a foul on Connolly deep in Raith half
Spencer with a 20 yard shot but Schwake collects
Morton player booked
Morton have a penalty
Gillespie to take….
Gillespie scores and celebrates in front of the Raith fans
And that is the first we hear for the Morton drummer boy
Ref blows for full time Morton 1. (Gillespie 93') Raith 0