After a topsy-turvy 3-2 win over Greenock Morton last weekend, Raith Rovers will put league matters to one side this Sunday, when they travel to Easter Road to take on Hibernian in the Viaplay Cup second round.

Hibs received a bye to this stage, due to qualifying for Europe, and go into this one on the back of a trip to Switzerland in midweek, where they face Luzern.

Lee Johnson's men will be looking for their first domestic win of the season in this one, with two league defeats from two so far, going down 3-2 to St Mirren in Edinburgh in the opening weekend of the campaign, before losing by a single goal once again, this time 2-1 at Motherwell last Sunday.

Rovers on the other hand are now unbeaten in six matches this season, with Callum Smith's lung busting run and finish eventually seeing off Dougie Imrie's 'Ton side, who had managed to battle back from two goals down.

Rovers will be roared on by a massive away following on Sunday afternoon, with the club on course to sell their full allocation of 1600 tickets for the match, and they'll be hoping to see an another famous Raith cup surprise in Leith.

Back in February 2014, the two were paired together in the Scottish Cup, and despite Rovers being in poor form, indeed - they'd failed to even score a goal in 2014, they won a five goal thriller, thanks to strikes from Kevin Moon, Dougie Hill, and that backward header from Grant Anderson.

That game came just over six years after another Scottish Cup upset at Easter Road, when a brace from John Millar earned Rovers a deserved 2-1 win over their top-tier opponents.

It was a different outcome the last time the two sides met in this competition though, with Hibs winning 2-0 in a third round tie at Stark's Park, with both goals coming from Craig Brewster, in a game where a certain Ian Murray played for the visitors.

As you'd expect, Hibs have enjoyed the upper hand in the last 10 meetings, with five wins and three draws during that time.

Sunday's match referee will be Nick Walsh.

Head-To-Head Record

Hibernian Wins: 68

Raith Rovers Wins: 34

Draws: 28


Rovers edged out at Easter Road

Rovers travelled across the Forth in promising form after a good start to the season. It also meant the sold-out section of 1,600 travelling fans was in cautiously optimistic mood. There were two changes in the starting lineup: Shaun Byrne made his first start for Rovers since arriving from Dundee and Captain Scott Brown made his first start of the season since returning from injury. Jack Hamilton took a place on the bench while Dylan Easton dropped out through suspension.

It was Hibs that started the brighter and Rovers had to sustain 15 minutes of early pressure from the hosts. However, for the early possession, they struggled to carve any real chances. Rovers gradually found at foothold in the game and came close when Sam Stanton charged through the middle of the Hibs defence, but his attempted pass to Callum Smith was over hit and just too wide to give him a real chance.

The half continued as a pretty even contest however David Marshall in the Hibs goal and Kevin Dabrowski for Rovers were rarely troubled.

Half-time: Hibs 0-0 Raith Rovers

The second half started much the same as the first but it was Rovers who came closest to taking the lead. Josh Mullin’s cross to the back post found Lewis Vaughan, and as the away end was about celebrate what looked to be a certain goal, somehow a combination of Marshall and the post kept the ball out. Rovers were almost immediately made to regret the missed chance as Hibs charged up the other end only to be denied by Dabrowski’s legs, blocking a shot which was bound for the bottom corner.

It wasn’t long though before the hosts did take the lead: Joe Newell’s 57th minute corner was met by the impressive Elie Youan, and his header found the back of the net. Hibs 1-0 Rovers.

Rovers regrouped and 10 minutes later managed to craft an equaliser. Vaughan picked up the ball through the middle and his pass slipped in Smith, and he beat Lewis Stevenson before calming slotting the ball low to Marshall’s outstretched right hand. Parity restored and another goal for Callum Smith. Hibs 1-1 Rovers.

Rovers then broke the unwritten rule of keeping it tight for 5 minutes after scoring. In fact, the hosts scored with their next attack. A cutback from Youan found Dylan Vente - who had just come on as a substitute - and he directed the ball home with his first touch. Hibs 2-1 Rovers.

Rovers tried to find another equaliser but it wasn’t to be. The only other real point of note was the late sending off of Liam Dick as he swung a foot at the ball he accidentally caught Vente in the face, with the referee deeming it dangerous enough for a red card.

Rovers fans left disappointed to be out of the cup but also aware that going toe-to-toe with a strong Premier League team hopefully sets the tone for the season. Up next is back to league business with a derby trip along the A92 to Dunfermline.

Full-time: Hibs 2-1 Raith Rovers

Crowd: 8,674

by David Proudfoot




Ian Murray spoke to RaithTV after our match in the Viaplay Cup:

Live Updates

Five minutes until kick off… teams have gone back in for last minute tactic chat
Raith get the game underway
Liam Dick with a calmly taken header back to Dabrowski… calms it all down
Watson with a vital block from a Boyle effort
Hibs corner, Boyle takes it, ball lands in the mix and big Kev punches clear
Brown with a pass upfield but he overhits it
Murray with a virtal block from Le Fondre… Hibs corner
Hibs second corner in succession, Obita takes and Big Kev is fouled as the ball lands in he middle of the box
Vaughan denied a foul deep int he Hibs half as Raith push forward
Smith with an effort that forces Marshall to punch the ball away
Well done Brown who continues to fight for the ball in the middle of the field
Brilliant play from Raith which started from Brown and ends with Vaughan. Raith pass forward and sidewards as they go forward but Vaughan's effort is skied
Stanton fights and wins the ball, he sees Smith but the pass is weighted just a tad too heavy
Foul Raith just outside the box after a foul on Smith
Mullin takes it, ball is in the mixer but Raith can't convert
Millen cuts the ball back at the Hibs byline but they clear
Freekick after Vaughan is fouled just outside the Hibs box main stand side
Vaughan fouled on the half way line..looks uncomfortable but think it's his ankle
Vaughan back on his feet , hobbling a bit but I'm sure he'll run it off
Stanton does well to win the ball, he see Vaughan who passes to Mullin who gets the ball placed into the box…Hibs head away
Hibs 0 Raith 0 … it would be fair to say Hibs have had majority of play but Raith are finding their feet and play has evened out the last ten minutes
Watson with an absolute vital block as Hibs power the ball towards the Raith goal
Booking for Byrne after a foul near the halfway line
Raith push forward as Vaughan passes to Liam Dick he transports the ball into the box but Hibs clear
Raith with a pop but straight to the hands of Marshall
Doidge booked after a foul on Byrne
Hibs corner, Obita takes but nothing comes of it
Raith free kick just in the Hibs half after a foul on Smith
There will be three minutes of additional time for this half
+2 Youan gets the ball to the Raith byline… he cuts acorns but is it clear to all the ball is out
+3 half time Hibs 0 Raith 0
Hibs get the second half underway. They have also made a halftime substitution off goes Campbell and on comes Newell
Raith head off the line
Hibs fans look for a penalty… ref says naw
Hibs freekick after a foul on Le Fondre just in the Raith half
Vaughan trie to cross the ball but ball is blocked then picked up by Hibs
Oooofffttt Raith so close as Vaughan's shot hits the post
Big Kev with an outstretched leg save as Hibs fire back upfield
Hibs corner and Big Kev extends his left arm to punch the ball away
Hibs score… it's from a corner. Ball is placed into the danger area and Youan
58 Hibs make a double substitution off go Boyle and Megwas and on come Stevenson and Miller
Raith sub off Byrne and bring on Ross
Ball crossed in to the Hibs danger area it's out out to the edge of the box.. Stanton is there, clearly fouled as he's pushed off the ball, ref can see… nothing
Vaughan has the ball he slots to Smith he has his eyes on the prize and slots the ball home for Raith
And during that limbs moment Hibs sub off Le Fondre and bring on Vente
And whilst I update that Hibs score .. Vente
Liam Dick's throw in lands back with him he tries to get the ball back in but Hibs clear
Smith keeps up with us man but he can't see a way round him as the ball heads towards the Hibs goal
Raith double substitution as off go Brown and Vaughan and on come Gullan and Hamilton
Hibs with an effort but it doesn't trouble Big Kev
Hibs sun off Hanlon and bring on Fish
Liam Dick chests the ball down to Big Kev after Hibs swing in a pass
Mullin tries to put the low pass into the Hibs box but Hibs have it well covered and Marshall gathers
Ball falls to Gullan… he has the opportunity, the chance but he doesn't fire early enough and Hibs block
Ross swings the ball into the box and Hibs head clear
Corner Raith taken quick they try to find a way through but Gullan's effort is put out the park.. another corner Raith
Smith takes it but ball clears
Today's attendance is 8674
Youan tries to weave his way through but Liam Dick is covering
Five minutes of additional time
Raith sub off Stanton and bring on Mitchell
Red card for Liam Dick looks like high boot which connected with a Hibs players face, from where I'm sitting I can't see who
Looks like it's Vente
Gullan with the pass into the box but Marshall has it covered
Ref blows for full time Hibs 2 Raith 1 (Smith 87'). Raith are out of the Via Play cup