Rusty Raith’s Loons Loss

The Rovers began the 2016/17 season travelling to Station Park Forfar.  Lining up in the new red second strips signings Kevin McHattie, Chris Johnston and Bobby Barr started with keeper Aaron Lennox on the bench.

The showers had added a zip to the plastic pitch and as the visiting fans tucked in their bridies the home side looked keen early on.  In the 14th minute Johnson played in Mark Stewart who turned and shot wide.  Then McHattie and Barr combined on the left which resulted in a corner.  Vaughan who looked enthusiastic throughout tried to fire a free kick into the top corner from an angle but hit the top of the side netting.

Just before the half hour Mark Stewart was removed and Jonny Court replaced him up front.  In the 35th minute a Forfar corner was knocked up in the air on the six yard line, it fell to David Cox who fired the ball into the roof of the net past Cuthbert.  The game remained relatively even and just before the half Callachan fired a low shot in forcing a save from the League Two side’s keeper.

The Rovers started the second half better with Court teeing up Callachan who kept the keeper on his toes from 23 yards.  Barr sent in a cross then Vaughan shot wide as the Rovers looked to equalise.  In the 53rd minute Court forced a good save with the home custodian tipping the ball over acrobatically.  The home side almost capitalised from some penalty box pin ball but the shot was blocked wide.

Vaughan – who took most of the free kicks – had another go then Court headed an effort up and onto the roof of the net from Johnston’s cross.  At the other end Cuthbert held a hard shot that was destined for the top corner.  Mid way through the half McHattie was helped off the field after a heavy knock with Matthews coming on and Davidson moving to left back.

Again Vaughan threatened with a low cross shot which hit the outside of the post.  In the 74th minute a flowing move ended with a well taken shot finding the side netting behind Cuthbert who’d tried to narrow the angle as Kerr Hay scored the hosts second.  The best passage of play of the game made it 2:0.

Callachan had another go from range before Swankie’s effort from outside the box was touched past by Cuthbert.  The Rovers his the woodwork when Callachan’s late run and leap met Johnston’s cross perfectly but his firm header came back off the far post.  The Rovers best chance came from a short corner than caught out both home and away players, Johnston’s dipping cross found Benedictus at the back post but the home keeper did well to block his effort, Court followed up but the ball pinged back into the keepers arms.

The last attack saw Vaughan – who’d come through his first ninety minutes since his injury – play in Callachan who’s low shot was saved.  The hosts will be happier with the outcome than the visitors.

Cuthbert, Thomson, Benedictus, Bates, McHattie, (Matthews), Davidson, Johnston, Callachan, B Barr, Stewart, (Court), Vaughan.


Live Updates

Welcome to Station Park Forfar, it's 12 degrees, overcast with light rain.
The last meeting between us and our hosts was a 4-2 home win for the Rovers in the 14/15 League Cup.
Our last meeting in the league was 06/07 the Rovers prevailing with 2 wins and 2 draws.
Tonight is the first of 4 meetings of all four Angus sides since the 1975/76 season.
Rovers sporting the new away strip tonight.
Forfar starting the game in swift fashion, not allowing Rovers out of their own half.
Denholm squares the ball across the mouth of goal, McHattie cleared.
Johnston jinks into the box but is relieved of the ball by O'Brien.
David Bates lining up to the right of Benedictus looking cool on the ball.
Benedictus taking a wee knock is helped to his feet by Mr Finnie.
Johnston running across the 18 yard line threads the ball into Stewart who shoots wide of goal.
Stewart chases a stray ball but the out rushing Adam cleared up the park.
Rovers first corner is taken short and is cleared by Forfar.
Davidson runs off a tap to his shin.
Vaughan with a free kick from 25 yards scrapes the top of the net.
Barr supplies McHattie who in turn flights the ball into the area but is just in front of Stewart and run out of play.
The gaffer gets vocal and is corrected by Mr Finnie.
Thomson plays on Stewart but the ball runs out of pitch.
Stewart off, Court on.
Goal Forfar.
Forfar with a corner sees a mix up in the box and Cox scoops the ball home from 3 yards.
Johnston and Barr combined well, the ball coming to McHattie whose shot was blocked.
Bain received treatment after a coming together with McHattie.
Court is felled in the box, Mr Finnie waves on play.
Thomson sees his header cleared by Adam.
Half time.
HT substitution, Cuthbert off, Lennox on
O'Brien off, Hay on.
Court lays the ball back to Callachan who lets rip from 25 yards low to the keepers left.
Johnston passes across the 18 yard line to Vaughan who shoots narrowly wide of goal.
Court forcing Adam into a fingertip save over the bar.
Bain shooting just wide from a poorly cleared corner.
From 30 yards out Vaughan fires the ball just over the bar.
Vaughan and Kennedy clatter, the latter coming off worst.
Vaughan and Kennedy clatter, the latter coming off worst.
Johnston looping the ball over from the touchline finds Court whose header went onto the roof of the net.
Lennox hods the ball comfortably from a shot from Bain.
McHattie down from a challenge from Cox.
McHattie is helped off the park by Benedictus.
McHattie off, Matthews on.
A shot from Johnston is bundled out of play by Adam.
Vaughan running his marker ragged.
Goal Forfar, substitute Hay firing across goal into the far corner.
Callachan tries from distance, the ball sails wide of goal.
Number 10 Cox is struggling after a knock.
Cox off, Devine on.
Swankie hits the ball from 25 yards, Lennox dives right and palms the ball round the post.
Callachan hits the base of the post with a header.
Johnston flights the ball into Benedictus who sees his shot deflected by Adam.
Callachan rifles the ball from the edge of the area, Adam parries low to his left.
Mr Finnie isn't messing about. Full time.