Raith Rovers head to Station Park this weekend, looking to extend their good run of form, and keeping their position at the top of League One.

John McGlynn's men have lost just once in their last 10 outings, and currently hold a two point lead above second placed Airdrie, with Falkirk a further point behind.

Saturday's opponents are on a less impressive sequence of results, with just one win in their last five outings, leaving them in ninth place in the table, six points above bottom club Stranraer.

Rovers have found Station Park, and Angus in general an unhappy hunting ground in recent years, although they did win their last time out in September, when goals from Lewis Vaughan and Kieran MacDonald sealing a come from behind 2-1 win, a victory that was Raith's first win at the venue since 2007.

It was a slightly tamer affair the last time the two teams met in November however, with the two playing out a 0-0 draw at Stark's Park.

Rovers have the upper hand in recent years in this fixture, but only just, with four wins and three draws from the last 10 meetings.

Saturday's match referee will be Duncan Williams.

Head-To-Head Away League Record Versus Forfar Athletic:

Forfar Wins: 18 | Raith Rovers Wins: 12 | Draws: 10

Forfar Goals: 70 | Raith Rovers Goals: 57

Current Form:

Forfar: W-D-L-W-L-L

Raith Rovers: W-W-D-L-W-W

Top Scorers:

Forfar: Dale Hilson 7 | Ross Forbes 5 | Michael Travis 5

Raith Rovers: Kieron Bowie 8 | Jamie Gullan 7 | Lewis Allan 6

Match Odds:

Forfar: 3/1 | Raith Rovers: 3/4 | Draw: 14/5


All Square At Station Park

Raith Rovers remain top of League One, but Falkirk gained ground on them from the chasing pack, after John McGlynn’s men were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw with Forfar Athletic at Station Park. 

Ross Forbes had given the home side an early lead, but a dominant second half performance saw John Baird drag Rovers level from close range, and despite creating a number of other chances, they were unable to find the winner. 

There was one change in the Raith starting lineup, with Iain Davidson returning from suspension to take the place of Dave McKay, while on the bench, there was the welcome return of Michael Miller from injury. 

Rovers were the in-form team going into this one, but after a low key start to the match, Forfar took the lead in the game’s first meaningful attack. 

Ross Meechan’s cross from the right seemed innocuous enough, but with Ross Munro unable to claim it, Forbes had the simple task of nodding into the empty net. 

The visitors looked a little rattled at this point, and Forfar were presented with another chance just a few minutes later, when possession was gifted away on the half way line to Jordan Kirkpatrick, and with the defence backing off, he unleashed a 25-yard drive which Munro handled comfortably. 

Rovers just couldn’t seem to settle, and Forfar almost made it two in the 13th minute, when the Raith backline was again unable to stop the cross coming in, allowing Forbes to swing his boot at it, but his attempt was blocked by Kieran MacDonald. 

After a slow start, Rovers were starting to find their way into the game, and Gullan squandered a good chance after pouncing onto a loose ball after Grant Anderson was challenged in the box and appealed for a penalty, and Dylan Tait tested Marc McCallum from long range, although his attempt was straight at the ‘keeper. 

Raith were now very much in the ascendency, and while they were keeping possession well and playing good football, the majority of their good play was coming unstuck as they entered the final third. 

Rovers started the second half with a change in personnel, with Ross Matthews taking the place of Brad Spencer, but they were almost two down within moments of the restart, when Davidson was unable to cut out a clearance, allowing Ross Kirkpatrick to bear down on goal, but Munro did well to repel his effort with his feet. 

Despite that early chance, Forfar were on the back foot at the start of the second half, but the bulk of the play was all happening in front of their defence, albeit Rovers tempo had moved up a gear. 

Anderson was unable to turn in a MacDonald cross in the 54th minute, and it was his last contribution to the game, as he made way for Kieron Bowie, who went up top to spearhead the Raith attack. 

Within seconds of his introduction, Rovers spurned their best chance to equalise, with MacDonald again the creator. 

The full back’s cross found Dylan Tait at the back post, but after bringing the ball under control, he somehow managed to blast the ball over the bar from close range. 

Ten minutes later, Rovers came even closer to restoring parity, when Baird took a pass in from Hendry, and after spinning his marker in the penalty area, he cracked a shot that beat Marc McCallum, but rebounded off the post to safety. 

It was starting to feel like it wasn’t going to be Rovers day, but in the 72nd minute, the scores were level. 

Unsurprisingly, Macdonald was the architect, with his cross being nodded back across goal by Tait, and Baird was on hand to nod home from close range. 

With their tails up, Rovers now looked the likeliest winner, but they had Munro to thanks for keeping the scores level with 10 minutes remaining, after he did well at full stretch to divert away a Forbes attempt from just outside the box. 

However, the visiting fans thought they’d have a reason to celebrate two minutes later, when MacDonald’s cross seemed ideal for Bowie, but he just failed to connect from six yards, and the chance was gone. 

They came even closer in the final minute, when Davidson appeared to have done enough to toe-poke the ball home, but McCallum instinctively tipped the ball past the post, to secure a point for the hosts. 

John McGlynn’s men will put league action to one side next weekend, when they travel to Livingston in the Scottish Cup.


© Eddie Doig 2020



RaithTV talked to John McGlynn after the 1-1 draw at Station Park

Live Updates

Welcome to today's league one game at Station Park, Forfar v Raith. It's cold, sun is breaking through, no wind and no rain
Teams are emerging onto the pitch
Teams are changing ends. Raith shooting towards the town end
Forfar get the game underway
Forfar deemed offside in the Raith box
Stanger wards off a Baird interception
Benedictus launches the ball out of the Raith box
Tait gets the ball to Watson who has a pop but the Keeper collects with ease
Play at 5 min in is 50/50
Munro hasn't cleared the best and the ball goes out for a through in
Corner Raith as MacDonald gets the ball upfield to Baird who is intercepted
Ball comes into the centre of the box but it's cleared by Forfar
Goal Forfar. As the cross comes in Munro fumbles and Forbes calmly heads home for Forfar
Hendry gives the ball away, Forfar steam ahead have a pop but Munro gets down to save
Another chance for Forfar, Benedictus kicks fresh air and Forfar pounce ball goes out for a corner
Forbes for Forfar crosses the ball to Bain whose hit is way off target
MacDonald gets the ball into the Forfar box but it's cleared
Free kick Forfar on the edge of the box
Forbes takes it and blasts it well over the wall and bar
Tait passes to Baird but he can't quite the ball under control to turn and shoot
Gullan intercepts the ball but as he takes the ball forward he is also intercepted
Tait goes for a shot about 30 yards out. The keeper palm saves and then collects
Great control from Hendry in midfield he passes to Tait who takes the ball forward. He passes to MacDonald but it's too heavy, goal kick.
MacDonald with a great ball upfield to Anderson. Sadly it's just too much for Anderson as McCallum comes storming out and clears
Spence to Tait who tries to drive forward, his effort is cleared, Raith punt back in but ball out for a goal kick
Raith in the last 5 min are starting to push forward
Forbes gets the ball over the defence to an in running Hilson but he's thankfully offside
Freekick Raith as Tapping man handles Hendry to the ground
Anderson goes charging to the Forfar box as the ball heads in there. A Forfar players gets his head to it in time to head back to the keeper
Watson gets the ball into the box but it's to no-one and Forfar clear
Watson to Tait who expects Watson to run up the line as he passes back but that doesn't happen and Forfar pick up the loose ball
Kirkpatrick tries to run up the far side line, Davidson goes for the challenge and is fouled, free kick Raith
Gullan picks up the ball takes it to the corner he gets it back in to Spencer who passes ball eventually to Baird who has a pop and keeper saves
Forfar are challenging heavy in the box
Forfar freekick approx 35 yards out after Benedictus fouls
Forbes takes, tries to go for a postage stamp goal thankfully ball just wide
Hendry gets the ball to centre spot but Forfar head back to the keeper
Watson gets back to just get in front of Forfar to get the ball out for throw in
+1 ref blows for half time Forfar 1 (Forbes) Raith Rovers 0
Raith getsvthe second half underway. Raith seemed to made a sub during half time off goes Spence on comes Matthews
Forfar come close but their shot is poor and Munro gets a foot to stop the shot
Free kick Raith farside of pitch just outside the box
Baird gets the ball in the box but he's not able to convert, goal kick
MacDonald crosses the ball into the box. Keeper gets low to collect
Watson crosses the ball into the box it's too high for Baird to connect with his head. MacDonald gets the ball back in but nothing comes of it
Raith sub off Anderson on comes Bowie
Forbes floats the ball into the box but Davidson heads clear
MacDonald crosses the ball over to the far side to Tait. Tait takes too long and should have smashed home but the ball goes over the bar when he does have a go
Forfar take a quick corner thankfully Benedictus heads clear
Forbes from a Forfar freekick comes close as the ball just goes over the bar
Stanger gets the ball just back to the keeper as Bowie comes challenging in
Hendry tries to switch play to Watson but his pass is too soft and Forfar intercept
Baird collects the ball in the box he turns and shoots but the ball bangs off the post
Forfar 1 Raith 0
Ball falls to Baird to head home for Raith
Tait decides he wants to have a pop about 25 yards out. It's too heavy and up over the bar
Raith corner
Forfar sub off Kirkpatrick on comes Coupe
The rain has begun, throwing it down
Tait gets the ball through to Bowie but the latter is judged to be offside
Forbes has a blast forcing a great save from Munro, Forfar corner
Gullan gets the ball back out to MacDonald who gets it back into the box. Neither Bowie or Baird can quite connect to head home
Forfar corner as Watson tries to clear
Freekick right on the edge of the box
All Raith team back in the wall. Forfar take and the wall does its job
Raith sub of Baird on comes Victoris
4 min to go Forfar 1 Raith 1
Hilson booked for bringing down Hendry. Freekick Raith just in Forfar half
Raith corner
Gullan gets the ball into the box front he corner but Benedictus heads well over the bar
Forfar close but Munro collects
Not sure where this extra time is coming from as neither team have had injuries during the game
Davidson heads clears as the ball lands in the box
Full time.. Forfar 1 (Forbes) Raith 1 Baird. A better second half from Raith but Forfar kept challenging and played well throughout the game