Line Up


Raith Fall To Arbroath Comeback

A wet and windy Friday night under the lights at Gayfield Park produced an unfortunate twist in this season’s title-chasing tale for Raith, as they succumbed to a 3-2 loss away to Arbroath.

With this being the team’s third match in seven days, Ian Murray made six changes to his squad’s starting line-up, effectively swapping out the entire midfield and attack, in comparison to the team that started in a goal-less stalemate against Morton just three days prior. Most notably, Ross Matthews led the team out with the captain’s armband, earning his first start of the season.


Raith dominated the first half, forcing multiple top-drawer saves from Arbroath’s veteran keeper Derek Gaston, whilst also coming close after a deep free-kick into the box found its way onto the post of the home team’s goal.

Raith eventually found their breakthrough, after Zak Rudden managed to control a ball swung in towards the edge of the box. After a neat one-two with Kyle Turner, Rudden took full advantage of the resultant pass, going on to place the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal with the outside of his boot, putting Raith a goal to the good just after the 25-minute mark.

Half-Time: Arbroath 0 – 1 Raith Rovers

Raith wasted no time in grabbing their second, with some excellent work once again by Rudden leading to Vaughan getting a shot away. After a big deflection from the Arbroath defence, Josh Mullin used his head to fire the ball into an empty net, doubling Rovers’ lead no more than five minutes into the second half.

Arbroath managed to weather the next 20 minutes as Raith pushed for a third. The home side’s defensive actions would prove to pay off as they started their comeback with their first goal of the night.

With just over an hour played, substitute striker Jay Bird fired in a lethal effort, as he turned and launched his shot beyond the outstretched arms of Dabrowski from the edge of the Raith box.

Arbroath found their equaliser after a ball swung into the Raith box was misjudged by the Raith keeper, which allowed Arbroath’s #9 Leighton McIntosh to head the ball in from six yards out, levelling the game in the 69th minute.

The home side went on to clinch their three points soon after, when a ball into the Raith box just couldn’t be cleared. After a pin-point ball was fired towards feet of substitute Mark Stowe, he made no mistake as he flicked the ball up and volleyed home from the edge of the six-yard box, scoring what proved to be the winner in the 77th minute.

With the sound of the final whistle, Arbroath earned their first win in ten matches, whilst also dealing Raith a severe blow in the Championship title challenge.

Full-Time: Arbroath 3 – 2 Raith Rovers

From being in complete control with 30 minutes to go, to finding themselves trailing the match just 17 minutes later, Raith will be hoping for a more resolute display with the last fife derby of the season approaching.

Written by Hamish Rankine



Live Updates

Raith get tonight’s Friday night under the lights game started. Raith shooting towards the their own fans this half
Freekick from Raith swung in to the Arbroath box, comes off Watson’s head and out for a goal kick
Arbroath freekick comes into the Raith box and Raith clear
Great ball from Vaughan to Mullin however the latter has blasted his effort over the Arbroath bar
Arbroath have a shot but it’s weak and Big Kev can get down and smother comfortably
Freekick Eairh after Vaughan is fouled just in Arbroath half near dugouts
Throw in to Vaughan, he tries to curl the ball in but is challenged - corner Raith
Mullin with the corner, ball gets to centre of box and Arbroath head clear
Another corner from Mullin - carbon copy of the previous
Another corner from Mullin, closer to the front post but Arbroath head clear
Yet another corner from Mullin and ball headed clear again
Rudden does well to keep the ball in and it’s a nifty pass to Vaughan, he can’t quite reach and Arbroath clear over the main stand
An Arbroath strike goes over the Raith bar
Good ball from Turner to Vaughan who takes the ball to the byline, cuts the ball in and Mullin’s effort is saved by Gaston
Mulkin’s corner played short to Turner, he passes back but Mullin’s cross is challenged and ball out for a throw in
Rudden picks up the ball and he’s onside, takes the ball into the box but he has many Arbroath players he can’t do anything more
Arbroath freekick after Matthews comes in a bit too heavy on the challenge
Raith come close not once but twice
Raith forced into an early substitution as off comes Watson and on comes S Brown
Big Kev gets down for the save as McIntosh has a pop
Byrne with a shot but it’s immediately blocked
Turner assists with a pass to RUDDEN who gets the ball low through the Arbroath defence and ball into the back of the net
Throw in from Dick, ball just gets into the box. Matthew’s jumps up for the header but ball out for goalkick
From an Arbroath corner ball to front post but Raith clear
Long ball and Rudden is on the heals of Little - Gaston can collect comfortably tho
Throw in from Matthews to Rudden who takes it forward passes to Mullin the in the box but unfortunately he slips on the ball and goes to ground
Corner Raith - ball comes into the front post but Arbroath head clear
Raith come close but ball goes over the bar
+1 Gaston blasts the ball into the sea
+1 ref blows for half time Arbroath 0 Raith 1 (Rudden 26’)
Game is back underway - Arbroath have made two halftime substitutions off go Gold and Dow and on come McKenna and Stowe
Arbroath freekick ball is put into the box and Raith head clear
Good play from Turner as he chases the ball and cuts the ball back in from the byline, Rudden is judged to be offside
Freekick Raith deep in their half after a foul on Matthews
It’s Vaughan with a shot but ball is deflect but MULLIN with a diving header give Raith their second goal