After the disappointment of conceding a late equaliser to Inverness on Saturday, Raith Rovers will be hoping to get back to winning ways, when they travel to Gayfield to take on a rapidly improving Arbroath.

Dick Campbell’s men have won two and drawn one of their last four matches, and are now just a point from Cove Rangers who are eighth, and just nine behind Rovers who are a place further.

Part of that improvement is down to the comings and goings the club have undertaken in January, with several players moving on, and no fewer than seven joining the club.

Defender, Lewis Banks has signed from Sligo Rovers, while almost an entire midfield has been brought in, with Joao Balde joining permanently from Hibernian after impressing on loan at East Fife, Ryan Dow coming back down the road after a spell at Peterhead while Steven Hetherington has joined on loan from Falkirk. Yasin El Mhanni has also impressed, after initially being touted as a signing in October, a move which was delayed due to red tape.

That wasn’t the end of the new additions however, with forwards Sean Adarkwa signing after leaving Queen’s Park Rangers, and Toyosi Olusanya joining on loan from St Mirren.

This will be the clubs third meeting this season, with Rovers taking four of the six points available.

The first was back in October, with Sam Stanton scoring the only goal of the game just before half time.

The most recent meeting was at Stark’s Park in December, when Rovers were quick out the blocks, taking the lead in the 6th minute, thanks to an own goal from Ricky Little, only for Colin Hamilton to earn the Red Lichties a point, thanks to an equaliser on the stroke of half time.

Saturday’s referee will be Alan Newlands.

Head-to-Head Record

Arbroath wins: 34

Raith Rovers wins: 47

Draws: 21


Second half fight back sees Rovers take all three points on the road

Rovers travelled to Arbroath on the back of a nine game unbeaten run, and fielded the same side which drew with Inverness last week.

Unsurprisingly the wind was gusting at Gayfield and Rovers decided to play into it for the first half – and it was a struggle. The hosts bossed the early part of the game forcing five corners in the first ten minutes. Rovers had a slight reprieve when a counter-attack and subsequent goalmouth scramble saw Lewis Vaughan’s shot blocked from close range, before being cleared.

Scramble in the lichtie's box to block Lewis Vaughan

It wasn’t long though before the hosts took a deserved lead. Back-to-back corners in the 20th minute eventually resulted in a Michael McKenna corner evading everyone in the Rovers box to put Arbroath 1-0 up. Arbroath 1-0 Rovers.

It was clear the game plan was to get to half-time with as little damage done as possible, then hopefully use the advantage of the wind in the second half. Arbroath continued to control most of the play but failed to make any real chances.

Half-time: Arbroath 1-0 Raith Rovers

It took both sides a bit of time to adjust to shooting the opposite way and Rovers were first to make a chance, but Scott Brown’s shot ended up well over he bar. Rovers then made a double sub just before the hour mark: Jamie Gullan and Vaughan replaced by Sam Stanton and William Akio. This was followed up by another attacking sub with Connor McBride coming on for Ross Millen as Rovers went three at the back to try and put more pressure on the home defence – and it worked.

Dylan Easton started a move down the left hand side, and just as the ball looked to be going out for a throw, Stanton somehow managed to keep it in and whip over a cross. The headed clearance fell to Scott Brown, whose volley was beautifully placed in the bottom right corner past Derek Gaston in the home goal. Arbroath 1-1 Rovers.

GOAL!....Scott Brown volleys home the equaliser

Rovers, now with the momentum as well as the wind, started to take control of the game. To the delight of the away fans, Rovers managed to carve out a winning goal. Nice footwork again from Easton down the left saw him find enough space to cross, and Connor McBride timed his run perfectly to head into the bottom corner. Arbroath 1-2 Rovers.

GOAL!....Connor McBride heads past Gaston for the winner

The last 15mins proved to be very nervy for the travelling support – particularly considering the loss of recent late goals; however, this time the Rovers defence stood strong to see out the victory. A win which sees Rovers move up to 5th and now well in contention for a playoff spot.

Full Time: Arbroath 1-2 Raith Rovers
Crowd: 2,042

by David Proudfoot






Ian Murray spoke to RaithTV after win against Arbroath FC:

Live Updates

Welcome to today's Cinch Championship game at Gayfield Park - Arbroath v Raith Rovers. Neither team have made any changes to their starting line up from last week. There is a wind, pitch is damp and it's a bit chilly
Referee for today is Alan Newlands assisted by Graeme Stewart and Chris Newman
Arbroath get the game underway. Raith shooting towards the away sport at amusement arcade side
Arbroath with the wind behind them this half
MacDonald's goal kick only reaches to the edge of the centre circle in the Raith half
Corner Arbroath
MacDonald forced to knock the ball over the bar. Another corner Arbroath
Corner this time reaches far post but knocked out by Arbroath, goalkick
Arbroath pegging back Raith in their half at the moment
Corner Arbroath
Yet another corner for Arbroath
MacDonald punches clear
Millen and Dow both booked for an altercation in the middle of the park
Bitsindou with a shot but ball wide
Freekick Raith about 3 yards from the centre circle in their half
Freekick Raith deep in Arbroath half after Baldé fouls Easton
Vaughan and Connolly line up for it. Connolly takes it but his effort doesn't come to anything
Corner Raith as Connolly tries to cross the ball into the box and Arbroath intervine
A stramash happens in the Arbroath box but they eventually clear
Connolly tries to get the ball up to Gullan but the wind changes the course of the ball
Hamilton with a tight angle shot but it takes a deflection and corner Arbroath
Goal Arbroath
From a second corner in succession McKenna scores straight from it
From a quickly taken Arbroath freekick MacDonald gets down to smother
Raith in the press a cross from Dick is cleared by Arbroath
Millen gets the ball into the box and it's headed away by Little
Freekick Raith and an Arbroath player is booked in the process
Easton with a low shot but he's hampered by Baldé and the ball goes wide
Freekick Arbroath deep in Raith half
Freekick goes straight over the byline .. goalkick
Freekick Raith after Vaughan fouled in the centre circle
Freekick Raith after Millen fouled deep in his own half
Freekick Raith after Gullan fouled in Arbroath half
Ball played to Adarkwa in the Raith box who very thankfully misses from close range
O'Brien booked after a foul on Millen
Vaughan takes it, looks like Gaston has it comfortably but nah, Raith corner
Vaughan with a shot, appeals for handball as the ball heads towards goal but ref allows play to go on
The wind will favour Raith second half as the ball is being held in the air every time MacDonald kicks the ball out
Arbroath freekick deep in Raith half
Freekick Raith in the centre circle after a foul on Vaughan
MacDonald is very vocal to Olusanya after collects the ball in the air and goes to ground smithing it
+1 ref blows for halftime Arbroath 1 (McKenna 18') Raith 0… as I say the wind has been against Raith getting the ball forward in the air whether through passes or goal kicks
Raith get the second half underway
Freekick Arbroath as Connolly fouls just in Raith half
Connolly gets the ball into the Arbroath box but they clear
Spencer to Dick but his first touch is a bit heavy
Millen gets the ball into the box but again Arbroath clear
Booking for Baldé after a foul on Easton
Corner Raith
Ball in the back of the net but the Ref disallows it
Spencer's long ball has the wind behind it Gullan chases but Arbroath cover and goalkeeper picks it up
Raith sub off Gullan and Vaughan and bring on Akio and Stanton
Nolan does well to stave off Olusanya
Freekick Rairh after Lang fouls Olusanya
Millen frustrated as his pass to Stanton doesn't come off
Millen with a great ball into the danger area but ball goes out for a goalkick
Easton tries to take the ball to the byline but is challenged. Goalkick
Freekick Raith in the centre circle
Arbroath make a triple substitution off go Baldé, Olusanya and Dow and on come Banks, Kolomafe and Hetherington
Raith sub Millen and bring on McBride
Lang is furious as he makes an important challenge as Raith lose the ball in midfield and Arbroath power forward
Stanton charges forward gets the ball into the box, ball comes out to BROWN who powers a thumping shot to get Raith's first
Corner Raith as Easton wins it by talking the ball to the byline
Easton takes it gets the ball to the back post but Stanton can't salmon leap high enough
Easton tries to cut the ball in but Arbroath get a toe to it
Lang with a robust challenge
It's MCBRIDE who puts Raith ahead
Corner Raith
From the corner Connolly gets the ball to the front post but Arbroath clear
Connolly tries to get the ball into the box but Arbroath intercept
Arbroath sub off McKenna and bring on Linn
Easton takes the freekick but his effort is too high and we'll over the bar
Brown's upfield pass is too much for Raith to capitalise on
Freekick Raith after O'Brien throws Akio out the way
Arbroath sub off. Adarkura and bring in El-Mhanni
Raith sub off Connolly and bring on Ngwenya
Raith corner
Easton takes it, Arbroath clear
As the rain comes on Arbroath hit a hopeful shot which is now in the amusement arcade
Today's attendance is 2042
Raith power forward in the dying minutes
Nolan does well to protect the ball as Arbroath threat
Raith defend in their force as Arbroath push. Goal kick
Ref blows for full time Arbroath 1(Mcakenna 18') Raith 2 ( Brown 69', McBride 75')…. Raith did well second half to play against the wind and take advantage of the wind second and come away with three points…. Yyyaaasss