Team Pd GD Pt
1 Queen's Park 29 20 54
2 Dundee 29 15 50
3 Ayr United 29 15 46
4 Partick Thistle 29 10 45
5 Morton 29 6 43
6 Raith Rovers 28 2 38
7 Inverness CT 28 -2 36
8 Cove Rangers 29 -28 26
9 Arbroath 28 -16 25
10 Hamilton Academical 28 -22 25
Updated: 21st Mar
Sunday March 12th 2023

Rangers 3 – 0 Raith Rovers

Rovers headed to Ibrox with a number of players missing, Skipper Scott Brown, Jamie Gullan and Ross Millen were injured and Scott McGill and Willy Akio were cup tied while Kieran Ngwenya was on International duty with Malawi.

Ian Murray knew his side had a tough task ahead of them but Rovers came close to taking an early and unlikely lead.

There was just over a minute gone when Goldson’s slack pass was intercepted in the centre circle by Isma Goncalves and his audacious lobbed shot looked to be heading for the back of the net but it swerved just wide, with ‘keeper Allan McGregor out of his goal.

Rovers retreated into their own penalty area and asked Rangers to break them down.

In the 10th minute, Rovers ‘keeper Jamie MacDonald made a fine save at his near post from James Tavernier’s drive after the Gers captain had played a one-two with Lundstram.

Jamie MacDonald saves from Tavernier

As their side toiled, Gers fans became increasingly frustrated at their sides failure to break down the Rovers defence.

However, the breakthrough came just before the break when Goldson leapt at the back post to bullet in a header from Barisic’s delivery.

Rovers were unfortunate to go into the break a goal down after some resolute defending especially from Tom Lang who got his head to almost every ball Rangers threw into the box.

Lewis Vaughan was introduced after the break replacing Connor McBride but  Rangers kept going and added a second just before the hour-mark when the luckless Ryan Nolan’s attempted clearance from a Tavernier cross ended up flying high into the net past MacDonald.

Lewis Vaughan replaced Connor McBride after the break

Rovers began to tire as the Ibrox side pinned them back although they came close when Aidan Connolly’s cross from the left was missed by Goncalves at the back post.

Rangers made a triple substitution bringing on Yilmaz, Souttar and Arfield for Goldson, Barisic and Fashion Sakala before McGregor foiled substitute Ethan Ross, who had replaced Goncalves.

Jamie MacDonald denied Arfield at his near post, diving to block a drive, and it became a case of Rovers trying to prevent the scoreline from being stretched.

Adam Masson, who had done a first class job as stand in for the injured Ross Millen along side Tom Lang and Liam Dick at the back, was replaced by Greig Young.

In the 87th minute Arfield put the game to bed when he took a pass from Todd Cantwell and knocked the ball past MacDonald to complete the scoring.

Around 40 minutes to go until Rangers v Raith Rovers Scottish Cup quarter final tie in Glasgow.
A couple of changes to the Rovers line up from last week’s match at Partick. Millen and Akio are out, replaced by Masson and Gonçalves. Mahady and Ross are the newcomers on the bench
Here come the Rovers! Looking resplendent in pink.
Rangers kick off the first half.
Gonçalves tries to lob the keeper from 70 yards. Clears McGregor, but past the post.
Dangerous cross from Barisic on the left. Sakala can’t connect.
MacDonald with a big save from a close range Tavernier effort. Corner Rangers.
Lang saves the day in the goal line. Corner Rangers.
Nolan blocks another dangerous attack from Rangers. It’s a corner.
Rangers 0-0 Raith Rovers
Cantwell seems to be slipping a lot on the greasy Ibrox surface. Might need to change his boots in the second half.
Corner Rangers.
Nolan clears. Corner Rangers.
Rangers 0-0 Raith Rovers
Colak with a glancing header. Wide of MacDonald’s right post.
Lang with the diving header, stops any Colak danger. Corner Rangers.
Dick heads out for a Rangers corner.
Raith with the break. Couldn’t convert, but nice to see some goalmouth action.
Kent held back by Connolly. It’s a yellow this time.
Corner Rangers.
Goal Rangers.
Goldson with the powerful header into the opposite corner.
Colak heads wide again.
Stanton does well to clear for a Rangers corner.
Half time: Rangers 1-0 Raith Rovers.
Rangers dominated the first half, but Raith are set up well to soak up all the pressure.
Vaughan replaced McBride
Connolly kicks off the second half. Raith shooting into the traditional aaay end.
Vaughan wins a Rovers free kick, 40 yards out.
Corner Rangers.
Goldson heads on target, but MacDonald is well placed.
Corner Rangers.
Tavernier shot deflects off Lang and hits the post. Corner Rangers.
Is this Raith’s first ever VAR moment?..
Easton in the box, tries his luck, but we’ll saved.
Goal Rangers.
Nolan sclaffs a clearance high over MacDonald and into the net.
Corner Rangers.
Rangers 2-0 Raith Rovers
Masson puts the ball out for a Rangers corner.
Lang gets in the way of a thunderous shot. Out for a Rangers corner.
Superb cross from Connolly. It whizzes in front of goal, but Gonçalves can’t connect.
Sakala replaced by Arfield.
Barisic replaces by Yilmaz
Goldson replaced by Souttar
Ross replaces Gonçalves
Easton slots through to Ross, he just can’t connect properly. That was a chance.
Spencer booked.
Corner Rangers.
Arfield shoots from close range. MacDonald saves and out for a corner.
Attendance: 41,167
Lundstram with a hefty challenge on Spencer. That’s a yellow.
Rangers 2-0 Raith Rovers
Morelos replaces Colak
Hagi replaces Kent
MacDonald seems to hesitate, but collects a deflected Arfield attempt.
Young replaces Masson
Goal Rangers.
Arfield slots home from a Cantwell pass.
2 minutes of injury time.
Cantwell booked for a not great challenge on Vaughan.
Vaughan also booked.
Corner Rangers.
Full time: Rangers 3-0 Raith Rovers
McGregor, Tavernier, Lundstram, Goldson, Colak, Cantwell, Kent, Davies, Sakala, Barisic, Raskin. Subs: McLaughlin, Yilmaz, Hagi, Jack, Souttar, Kamara, Morelos, Wright, Arfield

Raith Rovers
MacDonald, Dick, Nolan, Spencer, Connolly, McBride, Lang, Stanton, Easton, Masson, Gonçalves. Subs: Thomson, Vaughan, Mahady, Ross, Young


Ian Murray spoke to RaithTV after today’s game at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup Quarter Final:


Greig Young and Adam Masson spoke to RaithTV after today’s game at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup, and they were joined by former striker Christian Nade:

Raith Rovers will put league business to one side this weekend, when they travel to Ibrox on Sunday, to face Rangers in the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

It’s the first time Rovers have participated in this stage of the competition since the 2014/15 season, when they lost 1-0 to Inverness Caledonian Thistle who went on to win the trophy.

Coincidentally, they defeated Rangers at Ibrox in the last 16 of that tournament, with goals from Ryan Conroy and Christian Nade sealing a deserved 2-1 win.

If Rovers can pull off an upset, it’ll be the first time they’ve reached the last four since 2010, when they lost 2-0 to Dundee United at Hampden, with the Tayside club going on to defeat Ross County in the final.

While Rovers are without a win in this fixture in the last six meetings, they did draw with Rangers the last time they met at Stark’s Park back in 2016, in one of the most pulsating encounters the Stadium has seen in recent years.

Louis Longridge had fired Rovers in front in the 25th minute, only for Harry Forrester to equalise five minutes later. Michael O’Halloran then made it 2-1 to the visitors in the 35th minute, but that lead was also cut short, when James Craigen scored three minutes later.

Kenny Miller made it 3-2 to Rangers just after the interval, but Rovers were given the chance to equalise from the spot in injury time, only for Wes Foderingham to save Harry Panayiotou’s penalty, which was a signal for a large amount of Rangers fans to make their way down to the front of the stand in preparation to invade the pitch to celebrate winning the Championship, and returning to the top tier.

Seconds later however, they were heading the other way to the exits, after Panayiotou equalised from close range to earn Rovers a share of the spoils.

Aside from the 2-1 win at Ibrox, Rovers other win in recent cup history was the 2014 Challenge Cup final, with John Baird’s goal winning the cup in extra-time, on a memorable day at Easter Road.

Rangers have disposed of St Johnstone and Partick Thistle to reach this stage of the competition, while Rovers have come out on top against Auchinleck Talbot, Linlithgow Rose and Motherwell to reach the last eight.

Sunday’s match referee will be John Beaton.

Head-To-Head Record

Rangers wins: 80

Raith Rovers wins: 16

Draws: 16