Raith Rovers are back in Viaplay Cup action this Wednesday evening, as they face a key contest in Group A against group leaders Kilmarnock.

The Rugby Park side were 2-0 winners against Dunfermline at East End Park on Saturday, a result which puts them on six points from six, with Albion Rovers still to play on the final day.

If Raith are to reach the knock out stages, they’ll almost need to come out on top in this one, either through winning in 90 minutes, or taking the bonus point via the penalty shoot out if the match ends all square.

If they could, that would put them in a great position going into the final game on Saturday away at Annan Athletic.

For Kilmarnock, a win in 90 minutes would ensure they top the table with a game to spare.

Rovers have an impressive record against Killie in recent seasons, with six wins and a draw from their last 10 fixtures.

Their last meeting was on the final day of the 21/22 campaign at Stark’s Park, in a season where Kilmarnock had already sealed the title the previous weekend against Arbroath.

Aidan Connolly gave the home side the lead after half an hour, and although Rovers needed a big win to give them a chance of reaching the playoffs, an Oli Shaw equaliser right after half time ended their hopes.

The two sides haven’t met in this competition since the 1994/95 season, when the two played out an epic third round tie, in a competition which eventually ended up in glory for Jimmy Nicholl’s side.

A Colin Cameron hat-trick sealed a 3-2 win at Stark’s Park in a ding dong battle that eventually ended with Rovers sealing their place in the quarter finals.

Wednesday night’s referee will be John Beaton.

Head-To-Head Record

Kilmarnock wins: 55

Raith Rovers wins: 33

Draws: 31


Raith Rovers claim a Viaplay Cup bonus-point win over Kilmarnock.

Kilmarnock took the lead through Innes Cameron before Dylan Easton equalised and Liam Dick gave Rovers the lead.

Stuart Findlay equalised to force penalties at the end of the 90 minutes, Kevin Dabrowski saving two spot kicks as Rovers won the shootout 5-4.


Raith Rovers started with the same starting 11 for the third match in a row.

The first two chances fell to Rovers. 10 minutes in, Callum Smith got on the end of Lewis Vaughan’s whipped cross to the back post - the ball bobbling along the front of the goal.

Not long before half-time, Kilmarnock fired a warning shot through Liam Polworth’s low, long-range drive that skipped just past the post.

The home side went ahead on 42 minutes when Innes Cameron met a cross at the near post to slot the ball past Kevin Dabrowski - the big striker was then denied a second through an excellent stretched save from the Polish goalkeeper before the first half finished. Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Raith Rovers.

Within seconds of the restart, Dylan Easton swept the ball in off the post after Scott McGill found him around the penalty spot after good work on the right of the Killie 18 yard box. Kilmarnock 1 - 1 Raith Rovers.

Smith then came close again on the counter and Easton carved out another chance for himself that he flashed across goal.

Liam Dick had the ball in the net with a fantastic header midway through the half, but it was chalked off for an offside call.

The Rovers number 3 had no such hindrance on 73 minutes when he controlled the rebound from Easton’s shot and lashed it high past Dennis for a deserved 2-1 lead to the Rovers. Kilmarnock 1 - 2 Raith Rovers.

Rovers almost got a quickfire third goal, but couldn’t hold on to the lead as Stuart Findlay equalised from a scramble in the box after Danny Armstrong’s set-piece. Kilmarnock 2 - 2 Raith Rovers.

It was then Kilmarnock's turn to press for a winner, but the award of the bonus point would be decided on penalty kicks.

Dabrowski saved Kilmarnock’s first (taken by former Rover Danny Armstrong), teeing up Easton to settle the result but the mercurial number 23 scooped his effort over the bar.

After Dylan Corr scored Rovers’ first kick in sudden death, Dabrowski made an excellent save low down to his right to deny goalscorer Innes Cameron and give Raith the bonus point.



The match highlights video will appear here later


Ian Murray spoke to RaithTV after the Viaplay Cup Group F match on Wednesday night:


Kevin spoke to RaithTV after the Viaplay Cup Group F match on Wednesday night: