Match Report

Station Park, 17th January 2017

Young Rovers fall to the Forfar Loons.

The Development side lined up against a useful Forfar outfit on Tuesday evening, standouts for whom were Tatar and Aitken who towered over Craig Easton’s side.

The Rovers started with a light bench which comprised a trialist keeper, Jack Smith and Craig himself, Keiran Dall who was listed did not participate as he was injured.

 The match started at one hundred miles an hour and Forfar were first to threaten with the aforementioned Aitken bursting through and tested the trialist keeper with a low shot which resulted in a stoppage when both collided, the keeper able to resume after treatment.
The game restarted when Valentine on the overlap, zipped past his marker and his cross come shot landed on the top of the net. Johnny Court who has returned from his loan spell at Montrose played as the point man and held the ball up well on occasion, mainly against the midfielder Tatar.

 Ten minutes in Rovers conceded a free kick at the edge of the area which Tatar struck against the wall, as the players broke out the ball was whipped back in an Max Avollio was in the right spot to loop his header past the keeper in the postage stamp corner. 1-0
Both sides kept up the pace and it wasn’t long before parity was restored on the twenty minute mark. With a lovely flowing move, Collins won the ball on the right and centred to Court who found newly signed Kyle Bell free in the box, Kyle sidestepped a defender and drilled the ball under the diving Shaw and into the net. 1-1

 From this point Forfar enjoyed a fair bit of the opportunities with efforts from McKenzie, Aitken and Tatar testing the Rover’s trialist keeper and eventually their perseverance paid off at 39 minutes when Matthew Aitken towered over Berry and MacDonald and headed home from 8 yards. 2-1

 The second half began at the same rate as the first and it was Jamie Gill who tested the Rover’s keeper who deflected the ball with an out stretched foot, at the other end Court came close with a long range shot which glanced the crossbar on the way out of play. The guys kept pressing and on 63 minutes received an unexpected penalty when the referee judged that there was a handball in the area.

 Johnny Court stepped up and drilled the ball low to the bottom right corner, alas Jack Shaw guessed correctly and palmed the ball round the post.

 The rest of the match stuttered through injuries, though none were serious the interludes did break up the rhythm of the game and shots on target were a rarity.

 On the whole, the game was a good workout for both teams and the result closer than the 2-6 thumping that Forfar meted out at Starks Park on the first game of the season, so onwards and upwards and well done to Kyle Bell on his official debut goal.


Raith Rovers Forfar
 Trialist O Jack Shaw
 Jamie Watson  Greig Warwick
Euan Valentine Michael Kennedy
James Berry Murray McIntosh
Josh MacDonald Connor Simpson
David McKay Robert Tatar
Andreas Thorsen Jamie Gill
Ryan Stevenson Andrew McKenzie
Johnny Court Matthew Aitken
Kyle Bell Kerr Hay
James Collins Max Avollio
sub: Jack Smith sub: Ben Seivwright
sub: Keiran Dall (DNP) sub: Ben Moonie
sub: Craig Easton sub: Ryan Stirton
sub: Trialist Q sub: Frankie Devine
sub: Sam Clark
sub: Jason King

Remember, RRFC Season Ticket holders get free entry to all Development League games. View the Development League (East) Fixture list & Table here.

Development Fund

We need YOU to help develop the next generation of Raith Rovers players by supporting our Player Development Fund. Click Here for information on how to contribute.

Back to News